This Pico De Gallo is made from fresh tomato, cilantro, onion, and jalapeno – makes the best salsa ever. Some people refer to this as salsa fresca.The best pico de gallo I have ever had was on our honeymoon in Cabo San Lucas. I survived on pico de gallo, fresh guacamole with chips, and pina coladas because I was scared I would get sick from anything else. That was almost 8 years ago. Now I would probably eat anything there without any trepidation. Maturity or stupidity…tough call.
This Pico De Gallo can compete with the pico we ate on our honeymoon. It’s also what I use in my Cafe Rio recipes! I’ve decided that if I had to eat one thing for the rest of my life it would be homemade chips and Pico de Gallo.
My friend’s son recently told me this was the best salsa he’s ever had. I’ll take that from a 10-year-old! I started off naming this Pioneer Woman’s Pico De Gallo but have changed it a bit to fit my taste over the years.
- 5 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced finely
- ½ large red onion, diced finely
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped finely (use ½ a jalapeno if you don't want it as spicy)
- ½ bunch of cilantro, chopped finely (if your bunch is small use a whole bunch)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ lime, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the diced tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and garlic together. Add the juice of a half a lime and add salt and pepper to taste. Store in the fridge. Serve with chips or on top of salad, burritos, tacos...you name it.