Pico De Gallo
Pico De Gallo is a classic Mexican recipe made from fresh tomato, cilantro, onion, and jalapeno. This makes the best salsa to top burritos, chimichangas, flautas, enchiladas, and salads. Some people refer to this recipe as salsa fresca.
PICO DE GALLO
That was almost 18 years ago. Now, I would probably eat anything there without any trepidation. Maturity or stupidity…tough call.
- Tomatoes – you can use Roma, cherry, or grape tomatoes. I like to use grape tomatoes because they stay crisp longer.
- Onion – you can use red or white onion. Traditional pico de gallo uses white onion but I like the color of a red onion.
- Cilantro – an essential ingredient in this recipe.
- Jalapeno – add more or less depending on how spicy you like it. If you like it really spicy keep the seeds in.
- Garlic – minced garlic can be bought in a jar and kept in the fridge for easy access.
- Lime juice – brightens the flavor! If you don’t have lime use lemon juice.
If I had to eat one thing for the rest of my life it would be homemade chips and Pico de Gallo. A side of guac wouldn’t hurt either.
Use Roma, grape, or cherry tomatoes. Whatever tomato looks the ripest and at it’s peak.
WHAT IS PICO DE GALLO?
Pico de Gallo is a fresh Mexican salsa made from tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime, and garlic.
HOW TO MAKE PICO DE GALLO
Dice tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and garlic together. Add lime and salt and pepper.
- First, toss the diced tomatoes, red or white onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and garlic together.
- Next, add the juice of a half a lime and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in the fridge. Serve with chips or on top of salad, burritos, tacos…you name it.
To be honest, I use this chopper for the tomato, onion, and jalapeno and it makes it so much easier!
The cilantro you still need to cut by hand but everything else is done in 2 minutes!
My friend’s son recently told me this was the best salsa he’s ever had. I’ll take that from a 10-year-old!
OTHER MEXICAN RECIPES:
- Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa
- Mini Chicken Chimichangas
- Grilled Chicken Tacos with Feta Cream
- Watermelon Salsa
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- Taco Pizza Rolls
- Taco Lasagna
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Homemade Tortillas
Pico De Gallo
Pico De Gallo is a classic Mexican recipe made from fresh tomato, cilantro, onion, and jalapeno. This makes the best salsa to top burritos, chimichangas, flautas, enchiladas, and salads.
- 5 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced finely (see Note)
- 1/2 large red onion, diced finely
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped finely (use 1/2 a jalapeno if you don't want it as spicy)
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped finely (if your bunch is small use a whole bunch)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the diced tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and garlic together. Add the juice of a half a lime and add salt and pepper to taste. Store in the fridge. Serve with chips or on top of salad, burritos, tacos...you name it.
I really like using grape tomatoes because they don't get mushy like Roma tomatoes can be. Use about 2.5 to 3 cups of grape tomatoes!
I started off naming this Pioneer Woman’s Pico De Gallo but have changed it a bit to fit my taste over the years.