Homemade Taco Seasoning
What I’ve learned since I’ve had this blog is that are a couple of things that are considered taboo amongst the serious foodies: condensed cream of anything soups, food colorings, and taco seasoning packets. These things also tend to bring on a slew of strongly worded emails and comments. I never knew that food could bring out such anger.
I totally get the condensed soup thing. They’re not healthy and full of sodium – but sometimes throwing some chicken in a crockpot with a can of something is what I have to do to have dinner done when I’ll be gone all day. The couple of recipes I have on this blog with condensed soups in them are actually some of the most popular.
The food coloring I think should be taken in stride. I don’t think Rainbow Cupcakes once a year will kill you. I just don’t.
And everytime I post a recipe with taco seasoning in it I get a lot of comments like “ew“, “yuck“, and “so much unnecessary sodium“.
Phew. This food blogging thing isn’t for the thin skinned.
So what I’m saying is that I hear ya; I get it. Every one is entitled to an opinion and I appreciate all of your comments (but the nice ones I appreciate more).
Does that mean that I won’t ever post a recipe with the above contraband in it ever again? Ummm, no. The reason I have this blog is because I love food. And food comes in all shapes, tastes, and sizes. And hello, my name is The Girl Who Ate Everything so it’s my duty to not exclude anything.
But I thought I’d give homemade taco seasoning a try. Sometimes I don’t have a seasoning packet and who knew I could make my own with seasonings I have on hand. Remember I’m all about more convenient so making my own is WAY more convenient than running to the store with four kids.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container. Yields about 2 3/4 tablespoons.
- To use: Use about 2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning for every 1 pound of meat. Use more or less depending on your preference. Brown meat and drain the fat. Add your taco seasoning along with about 1/2 cup of water. Simmer and stir until water is absorbed. If you want more of a sauce throw in about 2 tablespoons of flour with the water.