Mini Burritos are filled with seasoned meat, beans, and cheese. Serve these Mini Burritos as an appetizer and let your guests top their own.
How can something so simple be so good? There was a little protesting from my kids when I announced we were having Mini Burritos instead of tacos for Taco Tuesday this week.
But after one bite they were hooked and ate a whopping 22 mini burritos.
There are so many things I love about these:
1) They’re mini. The cuteness factor is there.
2) They freeze well.
3) They can be made ahead of time so you aren’t prepping in the kitchen instead of hanging out with your peeps.
Start off with some seasoned taco meat and stir in some refried beans, salsa, and shredded cheese.
I tried several versions of mini burritos and I know some people use an eggroll wrapper for the tortilla part of it but I wanted to stay true to the burrito by using a regular tortilla.
A pizza slicer quickly cuts each tortilla into 4 wedges.
I tried rolling them a couple of different ways and found that placing your meat mixture at the wide end of the tortilla and rolling towards the small end worked best.
If you do it right you have a cute little burrito butt when you’re finished. Place them in a baking dish and bake them until warm.
You could pour some salsa and cheese on top and bake if you want but I wanted them dry so people could grab them easily.
And here’s a bunch of cute burrito butts.
I like my Mini Burritos topped with a little more salsa, cheese, guacamole, and sour cream – which is an absolute must when it comes to any burrito in my opinion.
OTHER MEXICAN RECIPES:
- Individual Seven Layer Dips
- Mini Chicken Chimichangas
- Easy Beef Burrito Skillet
- Green Chile Smothered Burritos
- Pico de Gallo
- Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 small onion, diced finely
- 1 (1 oz) packet Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 (15 oz) can Old El Paso™ refried beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (11.5 oz) package Old El Paso™ flour tortillas for burritos (8 tortillas; 8 inch)
- butter for basting
- Toppings: sour cream, guacamole, salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, brown the beef and onion until beef is no longer pink. Drain.
- Add the taco seasoning and 3 tablespoons of water. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the refried beans, salsa, and cheese. Feel free to add more salsa if you like it spicier.
- Quarter each flour tortilla using a knife or pizza slicer making 4 wedges from each tortilla. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of meat mixture onto the wide part of each tortilla. Fold the sides in and roll up towards the small end creating a mini burrito. Place burritos on a cookie sheet. If preparing ahead of time cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Brush burritos with melted butter if desired. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until burritos are warm.
- Add your favorite toppings such as sour cream, guacamole, and salsa.