This Healthy Vegetable Chicken Soup is FULL of veggies and great to detox when you need to eat healthy! You can definitely make the prep time shorter by buying prechopped veggies if you want.When I say that I’ve been on a month long eating bender I’m not exaggerating. I literally ate my way through New York, the Betty Crocker Kitchens, and Arizona. Double breakfasts, six dinners, buffet dessert. No calorie left behind, no restaurant untouched.
Let me let you in on a little secret. You know all those food bloggers that post obscene food pictures from restaurants and bakeries? The truth is that they rarely eat all of it, if even a bite. I’ve witnessed this many times to verify that is the case.
I know, I know…as a food blogger you have to have discretion otherwise you would be 500 lbs (my most commonly asked question is how I’m not 500 lbs). I haven’t quite learned that discretion part. You remember on Instagram how I posted an ice cream cone entirely filled with cookie dough in NYC? What’s not pictured are the 12 other containers of cookie dough (one of each flavor) that we took back to our hotel and ate later that night and for breakfast the next morning. So I guess I’m the nonconformist in the food blogging world. A whole lot of fun but horrible on the waistline.
Which is why today’s soup has ALL the veggies in it. Around 8-10 cups of veggies. While we were in Arizona I told the kids when we got home we’re having a grill-off for a month because we had eaten so much garbage. Yep, chicken and veggies, fish and veggies – on repeat. But somehow they got sick of it (go figure) and so this soup which is still healthy came about. And believe it or not, all my kids ate it without crying which was shocking. I have a couple that freak out when they see green things in their soup.It’s a lot of chopping unless your grocery store is awesome enough to carry some of the prechopped stuff. I actually don’t mind chopping though. It’s quite therapeutic. Just be warned that if you do store the leftovers, the noodles will soak up the liquid and you may have to add more broth.
|Healthy Vegetable Chicken Soup|| |
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1½ cups chopped celery
- 1 cup julienned carrots (or diced)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1½ teaspoons coarse salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper)
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- ¼ teaspoon soy sauce
- 6 ounces spinach
- 1 cup egg noodles
- 2 cups shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken works well here)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, celery, and carrots.
- Saute until onions are translucent and the veggies have been tossed through with hot oil. Add stock and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the soy sauce and hot sauce.
- Bring soup to a simmer and allow to simmer over low heat for about 40 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Add the spinach and cover pot. The spinach will reduce quickly. Stir soup and add the noodles. Cook about five minutes or until tender. Stir in the chicken and simmer until chicken is heated through. You can add more broth if you want it thinner. Serve!
Source: adapted from Allrecipes