Tomato Soup Recipe
Tomato Soup recipe has only a couple of simple ingredients and such a flavorful soup! The best homemade recipes are the ones you have memorized! This Tomato Soup recipe is one I make often and that my whole family requests. Tomatoes, onions, garlic, chicken broth, and some salt…done!
TOMATO SOUP RECIPE
Can I start off by saying that tomato soup might be the most impossible thing ever to photograph?
They say that necessity is the mother of invention. Let me set up the scene. It’s 7pm on Friday night – which happens to be our pizza night, and I find myself all of sudden so sick that I can barely swallow water because my throat hurts so bad. It was that time of year.
There was no way I was eating pizza (said no one ever…usually).
All I wanted was hot soup. Something soothing. I probably could have drank hot water at that point.
But…I added some tomatoes, onion, garlic, butter, and salt to the pot and simmered away. This is a great recipe with great flavor!
I love this Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup but I needed soup and I needed it now, not in six hours.
- BUTTER – you could use olive oil as well but I like the flavor of butter.
- YELLOW ONION – these tend to have a natural sweetness more than a white onion which helps balance the acidity of the soup.
- GARLIC CLOVES – minced garlic adds flavor.
- WHOLE PEELED TOMATOES – San Marzano tomatoes are by far the best canned tomatoes you can buy with great depth of flavor. If you’re in a pinch you could use crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes. I’ve never used fresh tomatoes but you probably could. But don’t use tomato sauce. San Marzanos are sold in most grocery stores.
- CHICKEN BROTH – I always use low sodium chicken broth so I can control the sodium in the soup. You could also use vegetable broth.
- KOSHER SALT – most people think salts are interchangeable. If you measure a teaspoon of kosher salt and a teaspoon of table salt you’ll notice there’s way more salt in table salt because of its fine texture. You can also add black pepper here.
- PINCH OF SUGAR – a little sugar helps cut the acidity of the tomatoes.
- BASIL – adds a bright note of flavor.
- GRATED PARMESAN – is a classic topping.
We smelled it cooking and…it’s amazing that something so simple could be so good.
You could add a splash of heavy cream to make this one of those creamy soups. Eat this with a grilled cheese sandwich for the perfect combo.
WHAT ARE THE CALORIES IN TOMATO SOUP?
In this tomato soup there are 163 calories in each serving and a serving is one cup. You can definitely cut down on the butter if you want it even lower in calories or replace the chicken broth with water.
To be totally honest this soup is good plain, but add a little Parmesan and basil…I mean come on.
Now we make this easy recipe all the time! At least once a month, more in the winter.
OTHER SOUP RECIPES:
- Healthy Vegetable Chicken Soup
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
- Cauliflower Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Creamy Chicken Potato soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Easy Tomato Soup
This easy Tomato Soup recipe has only a couple of simple ingredients and tastes so comforting!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 large yellow sweet onion , cut into wedges
- 1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chicken stock (or water)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch of sugar (or monkfruit)
- optional toppings grated parmesan, fresh basil
1. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Sautee the onions in the butter as the butter melts for a minute or so then add the rest of the ingredients (besides the toppings).
2. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until the onions are soft.
3. Blend until smooth in a regular blender or with an immersion blender. Add additional salt and pepper as needed. Eat plain (also wonderful) or garnish with parmesan and basil.