These Baked Chicken Chimichangas are a healthier twist on the old classic. You won’t even miss them being fried because they get nice and crispy!
We just got back from Legoland with the kids and then my husband and I went to the Florida Keys for a little getaway with our friends. Kaela, from Cookin’ and Kickin’, was my partner in crime as we food crawled our way through Islamorada. Here’s the Instagram proof. I think we both have bottomless stomachs. It was hard to leave. Sunset dinners on the beach, live music, and key lime pie always waiting for dessert. So this Monday has been exceptionally jarring. Early mornings are not something I easily snap back into.
I’m originally from Mesa, Arizona where phenomenal Mexican restaurants are on every corner. Moving to Florida with the prominent Latin culture I thought I would have the same luxury but good Mexican is surprisingly hard to find. The closest decent Mexican joint is about a half hour away so I end up making it at home most of the time. I love chimichangas but they’re usually dripping with grease. These oven baked chicken chimichangas were just the taste I was craving and had plenty of crisp that you look for in a chimichanga.
The best chimichanga is fully dressed so make sure you have some fresh guacamole and sour cream to top yours.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- diced tomato, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, and shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix chicken, salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions. Place about ⅓ cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
- Fold opposite sides over filling. Roll up from bottom and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
- Brush with melted butter. Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Garnish with desired toppings and serve with salsa on the side.