Tomato-Basil Chicken and Cashew Rice Pilaf
Tomato-Basil Chicken and Cashew Rice Pilaf – an impressive Italian recipe that my whole family loves.
TOMATO BASIL CHICKEN AND CASHEW RICE PILAF
My friend Steph sent me this Tomato Basil Chicken and Cashew Rice Pilaf recipe that was really popular with her dinner group. I didn’t want to even post a picture because it does NOT do the recipe justice.
First, I will say that I am not a rice fan. I’ll eat it if it gets stuck to my food or if I am at PF Changs and pour their special sauce all over it. Lets face it, you can pour their special sauce over cardboard and it would be fabulous.
Well this Tomato Basil Chicken and Cashew Rice Pilaf blew me away. I could eat it and only it for dinner and be completely happy. I know you are thinking how can rice be worth all this praise. Try it, and you will know why. With the chicken, sooo good! Thanks Steph for the recipe. I don’t think that the chicken necessarily is supposed to go on top of the rice but that’s how it ended up on my plate and it was divine. If anyone else has an ace in their pocket like this Tomato Basil Chicken and Cashew Rice Pilaf I would love to try it.
Tomato and basil pair perfectly over chicken.
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 can 14 oz. Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup julienned fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat butter in skillet. Add onion and cook over medium heat until translucent, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one minute. Increase heat to high; add tomatoes and cook until liquid is almost evaporated, 5-10 minutes. Add cream and bring to boil; boil until slightly thickened, approximately 3 minutes. Stir in basil, salt and pepper. Arrange chicken in shallow baking dish; pour sauce on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is done.
Source: Steph Jensen
Cashew Rice Pilaf
Cashews add extra texture to rice, which makes me love it even more.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked regular long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cashews coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In large saucepan, melt butter. Sauté onion until soft. Add rice; stir until coated. Stir in broth and salt. Cover; simmer 24-30 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in cashews and parsley.
Source: Steph Jensen