Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Chicken Pot Pie recipe is a classic homemade chicken pot pie with vegetables and a creamy filling without cream of anything soup. A store bought crust makes this come together fast for a weeknight meal. I’ve had many versions of this recipe but this one is the best and is a tried and true favorite.
CHICKEN POT PIE
This is comfort food at its best. I love to make comfort food when it’s gloomy and rainy outside. My kids love this meal. I love this meal. I could eat the whole pie by myself. It is a little work to make but you can taste the love in it.
WHAT MAKES A GOOD CHICKEN POT PIE?
A good chicken pot pie has the perfect filling to vegetable ratio. You don’t want it too runny or too thick.
I think the celery seed is the secret ingredient here because it gives it that flavor that nothing else can replace.
CAN YOU FREEZE CHICKEN POT PIE?
Yes. This is a recipe that freezes well. To cook either bake from frozen or thaw and then bake.
OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES
- Chicken and Cheese Quesadilla Pie
- One-Pan Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Skillet
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken in Basil Cream Sauce
- One-Pan Chicken Fajita Rice
- Chicken Parmesan Roll-Ups
Chicken Pot Pie
This homemade Chicken Pot Pie is a classic chicken pot pie with vegetables and a creamy filling without cream of anything soup. A store bought crust makes this come together fast for a weeknight meal.
- 1 pound skinless , boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen carrots and peas
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 32 oz . carton chicken broth for boiling (reserve 1 3/4 cups chicken broth for sauce)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 (9-inch) unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
- Place one of the crusts in the bottom of a deep dish pie pan and prick with a fork. I like to slightly bake the bottom crust before filling the pie so it isn't soggy. Just bake for 5-6 minutes at 425 degrees.
- In a large pot, combine the raw chicken, carrots, peas, celery. Add the carton of chicken broth to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain into a bowl (reserving 1 3/4 cups chicken broth for filling) and set aside chicken mixture.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and combine with the chicken, carrots, peas, and celery mixture in a large pot or bowl (I use the pot that I boiled the chicken in). Here you can add more chicken broth if you like depending how runny you want your filling.
- Place the chicken filling on top of the bottom crust. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Source: adapted from Allrecipes