Hoagie Dip tastes just like a sub sandwich from Subway but in dip form. This appetizer is kind of like building your own sandwich. The best way to eat it is to spoon it on top of slices of bread.
Confession. In getting back to reality, I’m up to my eyeballs in laundry and errands and still haven’t unpacked my bags. In my defense while I was packing I went for the when in doubt take everything approach.
So the first night home from Hawaii John had already gone to bed and I stayed up late catching up on things and finally headed to bed around 1:00am.
I couldn’t find my toothbrush because I had taken it out of my toiletry bag while I was packing because it kept turning on every time I tried to zip up my bag. I ended up throwing it somewhere in my suitcase where it wouldn’t buzz.
I didn’t want to disturb my husband by turning on the lights trying to find MY toothbrush, instead I grabbed his toothbrush sitting on the counter. Gross I know. But this is the man I kiss so it’s not that far off base. Have any of you done that?
With Valentine’s day around the corner it’s got me thinking about what defines love and relationships and if sharing your toothbrush isn’t love (or desperation), I don’t know what is.
But before we jump into Love Week, we’re still gearing up for the Super Bowl around here. Layers of Italian meats scream football season to me.
I knew the first time I tasted this Hoagie Dip at my friend’s house that it had to be part of my Super Bowl menu this year. To me it tasted just like an Italian sandwich at Subway so I knew John would love it too because that’s his favorite sandwich.
We found it best to spread it over sliced hoagie rolls instead of actually dipping it. So you can basically feed your footballs fans subs without the tedious work of making all of the sandwiches.
I love this one and it will be added to my keeper list. Just get the meats at your deli counter so you don’t have to buy a huge pack of all of the meats.
OTHER DIP RECIPES:
- Beef Enchilada Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Pizza Dip
- Mediterranean 7-Layer Dip
- Cowboy Caviar Dip
- Hot Artichoke and Spinach Dip
- Greek Salsa
- BLT Dip
- Warm Bacon Cheese Dip
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 4 pickled pepperoncini peppers drained and diced, (reserve some pepperoncini juice for the sauce)
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce chopped about the size of nickels
- 1 large tomato, halved, seeded, and diced
- 1/4 pound deli-sliced Genoa salami, sliced and diced
- 1/4 pound deli-sliced ham, sliced and diced
- 1/4 pound deli-sliced prosciutto, sliced and diced
- 1/4 pound deli-sliced roast turkey, diced
- 1/4 pound deli-sliced provolone cheese, sliced and diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon pepperoncini juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 10- to-12- inch round loaf of choice, hollowed out
- 1 sliced baguette
- Combine the chopped vegetables, meats and cheese in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise, olive oil, vinegar, pepperoncini juice, oregano, and red pepper flakes and stir until everything is all mixed up.
- If you are going to serve within an hour, pour the dressing over the meat/veggie mixture and toss until combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- If you are NOT eating it soon, keep all ingredients refrigerated and toss together right before so that the lettuce does not get soggy.
- Carve out the center of the bread loaf to make a bowl and cut the top piece taken out into bite-size pieces. Serve the hoagie dip in the bread bowl, with the extra bread and baguette slices.
- Spread dip over bread and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
This is incredible – was a huge hit at our Superbowl party.
I make this as a salad. I just use the whole head of lettuce and skip the bread. Thanks for a delicious recipe!
I make this dip with turkey fresh mozzarella and roasted red peppers for those that don’t like Italian and leave the meat out all together for vegetarians it is delicious any way you make it!
How many people does this serve? I am planning a shower and this looks yummy.
I would say about 10-12 servings at least.
Christy’s friend Kaela here.
Here is the new link to the Hoagie Dip on my website. I noticed that my name was linked to the old one and I have a new website now.
I updated it:)
This is so cool – very different! And, yes, I totally used my ex husband’s toothbrush when I couldn’t find mine.
My family would def go for this, looks great! Thx for sharing!
This looks like a really good dip!!! Yum!!
I definitely have shared toothbrushes with my fiance before especially if its after dinner and I know I will be at his house for a while longer. I mean who really has energy to do it after getting back to my place at 2 am!?
I share a toothbrush with my husband all the time, usually because the toddler has run off with one that was sitting on the edge fo the counter. My husband’s a dentist and he’s never told me not too. You just gotta do what ya gotta do!
All your superbowl food has me drooling!
I want to come to your super bowl party. I’ll bring the diet dr. pepper, you make all the amazing food;)
I’ve used Brett’s toothbrush too, in desperate situations.
Cool dip recipe! I’ve seen a lot of different one’s recently, and this one seems unique!
I can definitely see my husband or dad loving that dip with all of the italian meat. I am not a fan of sharing a toothbrush, it just grosses me out too much…
That looks simply delicious!