This recipe is known as funeral potatoes because it’s traditionally served at funerals. This is because of its ease and ability to serve a crowd. Everyone has a recipe for gooey potatoes but this is my favorite version.
My friends the Clarks introduced me to them. Whether it’s Christmas, Easter, or a summertime barbecue, you can be assured that these Funeral Potatoes will be on our dinner table.
I feel like mashed potatoes and gravy are reserved for Thanksgiving. If you are looking for an alternative to that, this would be great also.
CAN YOU FREEZE FUNERAL POTATOES?
- Yes, you can freeze funeral potatoes. Simple freeze them without the cornflake topping.
- When ready to use, thaw in the fridge overnight and bake with the cornflake topping.
OTHER POTATO RECIPES:
- Ultimate Twice Baked Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Jalapeno Popper Mashed Potatoes
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Ruth’s Chris Sweet Potato Casserole
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Italian Mashed Potatoes
- Creamy Potato Soup
- 1 (2 lb) bag of frozen cubed or shredded hash browns
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheese, + ½ cup for topping
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- Small bunch of green onions, sliced
- 2-3 cups Cornflakes
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix sour cream, 2 cups of the cheddar cheese, cream of chicken soup, and green onions in a large bowl.
- Add the hash browns and mix together thoroughly.
- Crush cornflakes lightly in a ziploc bag.
- Mix the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese with 2 cups of corn flakes and butter. Reserve for later.
- Pour potatoes into a 9x13 baking dish. Cover and bake potatoes at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes. (*I cook mine a little longer just to make sure they are done. There is nothing worse than crunchy potatoes. ) Cover top with corn flake/cheese mixture and bake an additional 15 minutes until potatoes are bubbling and top has browned.
Source: My friends Ryan and Heidi Clark. I did add butter to the cornflakes on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g