Whenever we go to a potluck and are asked to bring a side dish I always bring something that could easily double as an entree just to make sure we all walk away full. My husband is living the Keto lifestyle and so I try to bring something Keto-friendly that he can fill up on like this Antipasto salad.
Think of your favorite Italian sandwich in salad form and this is it!
WHAT IS ANTIPASTO?
Antipasto is often the first course of a formal Italian meal. Typical ingredients of a traditional antipasto include cured meats, olives, pepperoncini, artichoke hearts, various cheeses, pickled meats, and vegetables in oil or vinegar.
WHAT DRESSING DO I USE?
To be honest, there are a lot of really good Italian dressings out there and most of them are low-carb. I like the Olive Garden copycat dressing (sold in the dressing aisle and Costco) and Marie’s Parmesan Italian dressing. If you want to make your own you can too! I included a creamy Italian recipe in the notes.
OTHER SALAD RECIPES:
- Crunchy Pea Salad
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Poppy Seed Fruit Salad
- Corn, Avocado, and Tomato Salad
- Frito Corn Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Pizza Pasta Salad
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, diced
- 4 ounces marinated artichokes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup olives (about 3 ounces)
- 2 ounces salami, diced
- 2 ounces pepperoni, quartered
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoncinis
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (more to taste)
In a large shallow salad bowl, add the romaine and layer all the other ingredients. Toss together with your favorite Italian dressing and enjoy.
All recipes are approximate.
To be honest, there are a lot of really good Italian dressings out there. I like the Olive Garden copycat dressing (sold in the dressing aisle and Costco) and Marie's Parmesan Italian dressing. Use your favorite Italian dressing. Here's a recipe for homemade creamy Italian if you would like to make your own.
Creamy Italian Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 of a small onion
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper