Muddy Buddies are a crunchy chocolate peanut butter dessert snack that feeds a crowd! This gluten-free sweet treat is sometimes called a crazy name but any name you call it, it’s salty and sweet heaven. This is an easy treat and the best version out there. Great for game nights, holiday season, birthday party or just a favorite snack for hanging out. Always a crowd favorite.
MUDDY BUDDY RECIPE
There are so many versions out there but this really is the best version because of the ratio of butter, chocolate, and peanut butter. It’s thick and sticks to the cereal holding the powdered sugar on securely. The original recipe on the back of the General Mills cereal package has a little less butter and peanut butter.
In my opinion, you can’t have too much peanut butter chocolate flavor! The layers of crunchiness are from the crispy corn chex pieces.
WHAT ARE MUDDY BUDDIES?
CHEX MUDDY BUDDIES INGREDIENTS
This no bake treat is our favorite snack made with simple ingredients. You can make a whole batch in minutes.
- chocolate chips – you can use semisweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips.
- peanut butter – If you wanted a fun twist you could use crunchy peanut butter. Natural peanut butters aren’t ideal here for the texture.
- butter – unsalted butter or salted.
- Chex mix – you can use Rice Chex cereal or Corn Chex. You can even use Golden Grahams for an easy switch.
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
- add ins – M&Ms, Rolos, whoppers, sprinkles, pretzels, Reese’s Pieces, Twix pieces
HOW TO MAKE MUDDY BUDDIES
Melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a bowl until melted. Stir in the vanilla and salt.
You’ll need a large mixing bowl. Larger than this.
Stir into the cereal thoroughly.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar stirring until well coated. You can use large ziplock bags for this as well. Or put it in a little plastic bag for snacks.
A nice powdered sugar coating. Done!
Add M&Ms, sprinkles, Rolos, mini marshmallows, Whoppers, cut up Twix, or whatever you want!
Make them festive!
OTHER NAMES FOR MUDDY BUDDIES
Puppy chow, monkey munch, muddy munch, reindeer chow, or doggy bag.
WHY ARE MUDDY BUDDIES CALLED PUPPY CHOW?
Because it resembles the appearance of dog food.
CHEX MIX MUDDY BUDDIES
You can use Rice Chex, Corn Chex, Chocolate Chex, or Peanut butter Chex. This recipe calls for Corn or Rice Chex.
HOW TO MAKE MUDDY BUDDIES
In a medium microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate cups, peanut butter, and butter. Melt in 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring in between, until mixture is smooth. Stir in the vanilla and salt.
In a very large bowl, add the cereal. Pour the chocolate peanut butter mixture on top and stir until evenly coated. Sprinkle the powdered sugar on top of the cereal mixture and stir until well coated.
Mix ins aren’t necessary but you can add M&Ms, pretzels, sprinkles, Rolos, Whoppers, etc.
ARE MUDDY BUDDIES GLUTEN-FREE?
Yes. Rice Chex and Corn Chex are gluten-free.
HOW TO STORE
Keep in an airtight container up to two weeks.
OTHER EASY SNACKS
- Cake Batter Muddy Buddies
- Cookie Butter Muddy Buddies
- Chex Scotcheroos
- Candy Cane Popcorn
- Gooey Coconut Chex Mix
- Soft Caramel Popcorn
- Rolo Pretzels
- Energy Balls
- Cinnabon Popcorn
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips, (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (12 ounce) box Rice Chex or Corn Chex, (about 9-10 cups)
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, (more as needed)
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate cups, peanut butter, and butter. Melt in 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring in between, until mixture is smooth. Stir in the vanilla and salt.
- In a very large bowl, add the cereal. Pour the chocolate mixture on top and stir until evenly coated. Sprinkle the powdered sugar on top and stir until well coated adding more if needed.
- Mix ins aren't necessary but you can add M&Ms, pretzels, sprinkles, Rolos, Whoppers, etc. Keep in an airtight container up to two weeks.
For some reason this recipe seemed really wet and the powdered sugar dissipated into the chocolate. It didn’t work as well for me. My family said they could also taste the salt added.
JoAnn well shoot! I’m not sure what happened
Tage it. Keep on track