Carrot Cake Recipe
This Carrot Cake recipe is tried and true with a moist tender crumb topped with a cream cheese frosting. No raisins or pineapple in this version. This dessert is popular at Easter but is eaten year round because it’s that good!
CARROT CAKE RECIPE
This recipe comes from my friend Vedika from Hot Chocolate Hits. She has a new cookbook out 52 Weeks 52 Sweets. The book is filled with tried and true seasonal recipes with a recipe for each week of the year (52 recipes for 52 weeks).
So I know carrot cake is known to be made at Easter but really it can be enjoyed all year long. This cake is so moist! The perfect blend of spices and carrots.
My sister is notorious for driving through the Kneaders drive-thru and asking if she can get a corner piece of their cheesecake. Then, she eats mostly the frosting with some of the cake!
NUTS OR NO NUTS
People are very passionate about either having nuts in or out of their carrot cake. I’m on team nut. I believe it adds texture and flavor.
OTHER CAKE RECIPES:
- Chocolate Eclair Cake
- Pumpkin Cake
- Lemon Sheet Cake
- The Best Chocolate Cake
- Pumpkin Earthquake Cake
- White Texas Sheet Cake
- Strawberries and Cream Cake
Carrot Cake Recipe
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour (335 g)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon all-spice
- 4 cups carrots, shredded - roughly 6-8 (500 g)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (50 mL)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400 g)
- 1 1/4 cups flavorless oil (such as canola or vegetable) , 300 mL
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped, (130 g)
- other optional add-ins, 1 cup of chocolate chips, raisins, ½ cup flaked coconut
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temp
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1. lemon juiced , (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE TOPPING:
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, grease a 9x13 inch pan with butter and dust with flour. Do not skip this step! You can alternatively use three 9 inch pans.
- In a small bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice) and set aside.
- In another bowl, toss the carrots with the lemon juice and set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend the sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture, stirring just to combine.
- Fold in the carrot mixture and nuts. The nuts are optional, but I highly recommend adding them!
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 45-60 minutes (if baking multiple layers, the baking time will need to be adjusted accordingly), or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- TO MAKE THE FROSTING:
- To make the frosting, blend together the butter, cream cheese, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Gradually add in the powdered sugar and beat until smooth and fluffy. The frosting should hold a soft peak when you lift up the whisk/beater.
- I like to garnish the cake with some cinnamon and chopped nuts, but this is totally optional.