Strawberry Spinach Salad
I have major phone envy right now.
I’m not someone who has to have the latest “things”….BUT my husband just qualified for an upgrade on his phone and bought the new IPhone. I want it. I want to be able to play games and access the Internet whenever I want.
But I’ve been banned from having a nice phone. I go through phones about as fast as I go through butter in my house. In my defense, it’s usually because one of my kids either tried to flush it down the toilet or threw it down the stairs.
My last phone died because it fell out of my “Christy Pocket”, as my friends like to call it, and into the toilet as I leaned over to throw something in the trash. For years I’ve been carrying my phone in my bra. Occasionally my lipstick or credit card will jump in there too but usually it’s just my phone. It’s awfully convenient since I don’t always have pockets and I’m sure to hear it since it’s always in close proximity.
Not sure when I started using the “Christy Pocket” but I learned from the best…my mom. She’s been holding her lipstick there for years. It’s always shocking when she sneaks it out of there because she one of the most prudish people I know. Ironically, the woman who showed me the ways is the same one who got after me for saying the word “bra” in front of my husband when we were dating.
Why not use a purse? I’m not a purse girl *gasp*. I have friends who have entire closets for just their purses so I realize I might have lost you after that last sentence. But it’s the truth. If I ever get the chance to go shopping by myself and am NOT carrying the baby backpack, I carry a man wallet with my cards and I.D. I finally broke down and had my MIL help me pick out a purse for emergencies…like date night.
So unless they create an IPhone that can survive a 10 foot drop and toilet submersion I’m left wanting. Or I’m going to have to become a purse girl.
Speaking of wanting…my friend Heidi has this Strawberry Spinach Salad as the header on her blog and every time I go there I want it. She’s made it for us before but now that she’s gone I had to make it myself. Strawberries are really good and cheap now in Florida (not sure about the rest of the states) so I’ve been stocking up. This salad is simple and light. It has fresh strawberries, toasted almonds, and a vinaigrette dressing that is the perfect compliment to the strawberries.
Strawberry Spinach Salad
This Strawberry Spinach Salad with almonds is a great salad for any occasion.
- 9 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 pint 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cups sliced almonds , toasted
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped red or white onion
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (a couple shakes of the bottle)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toast almonds in a small skillet over medium heat for a couple of minutes to brown and bring out the flavor.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries. and almonds. Place dressing ingredients in a blender; cover and process until combined. You can make the dressing ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. Pour over salad right before serving and toss to coat. Serve immediately. Makes 6-8 servings.
- *Make it into a meal by adding some sliced grilled chicken
Source: Schaeffer Girl's Grub