Strawberry Spinach Salad
STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD
I have major phone envy right now.
I’m not someone who has to have the latest “things”….BUT my husband just qualified for an upgrade on his phone and bought the new IPhone. I want it.
But I’ve been banned from having a nice phone. I go through phones about as fast as I go through butter in my house. In my defense, it’s usually because one of my kids either tried to flush it down the toilet or threw it down the stairs.
My last phone died because it fell out of my “Christy Pocket”, as my friends like to call it, and into the toilet as I leaned over to throw something in the trash. For years I’ve been carrying my phone in my bra. Occasionally my lipstick or credit card will jump in there too but usually it’s just my phone. It’s awfully convenient since I don’t always have pockets and I’m sure to hear it since it’s always in close proximity.
Not sure when I started using the “Christy Pocket” but I learned from the best…my mom. She’s been holding her lipstick there for years. It’s always shocking when she sneaks it out of there because she one of the most prudish people I know. Ironically, the woman who showed me the ways is the same one who got after me for saying the word “bra” in front of my husband when we were dating.
Why not use a purse? I’m not a purse girl *gasp*. I have friends who have entire closets for just their purses so I realize I might have lost you after that last sentence.
Strawberries are really good and cheap now in Florida (not sure about the rest of the states) so I’ve been stocking up. This salad is simple and light. It has fresh strawberries, toasted almonds, and a vinaigrette dressing that is the perfect compliment to the strawberries.
The ingredients are simple: spinach, strawberries, onion, toasted almonds, avocado, and feta or gorgonzola.
VARIATIONS TO THIS STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD
- Use raspberries instead of strawberries.
- Candied pecans are a great alternative to toasted almonds.
- Don’t like onion? Leave it out.
- Goat cheese would be great in this salad too!
OTHER SALAD RECIPES
- Broccoli Salad
- Watergate Salad
- Avocado Cucumber Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Crunchy Pea Salad
- Frito Corn Salad
Strawberry Spinach Salad
- 8 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 pint (2 cups) fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 avocado, diced, (firm but ripe)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta or gorgonzola
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, (a couple shakes of the bottle)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toast almonds in a small skillet over medium heat for a couple of minutes to brown and bring out the flavor.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries, almonds, avocado, feta, and onion. Place dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine. You can make the dressing ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. Pour over salad right before serving and toss to coat. Serve immediately.