Chicken Parmesan Roll-Ups
These Chicken Parmesan Roll-Ups are an easy dinner recipe that your whole family will love. It’s like chicken parmesan but rolled up with mozzarella, basil, and tomatoes.
You can totally customize these Chicken Parmesan Roll-Ups. Use marinara sauce instead of diced tomatoes for a quicker version of the recipe. These Chicken Parmesan Roll-Ups were originally posted in May 2013.
CHICKEN PARMESAN ROLL-UPS
Every night as I crawl into bed I either verbally or mentally utter the words, “I…love…my…bed.”
I do. It’s a little piece of heaven. It’s big enough that we can both sleep in an ‘X’ shape without running into each other or we can meet in the middle to snuggle if we want.
Add just washed sheets dried with two Bounce dryer sheets to the equation and we have reached one of life’s greatest pleasures.
One of our first purchases when we moved to Florida was a mattress, purely out of necessity so that we weren’t sleeping on the floor. We got a mattress on clearance and it was fine but nothing spectacular.
We found out that after a month or so our bodies had created two valleys in the pillow top with a big mountain in the middle.
The catch about beds is that you don’t really know how you’ll like them until you’ve spent the night sleeping in it and by then you’re a little committed to the purchase.
A while later our friends happened to be moving and didn’t want to haul their brand new bed across the country so we inherited their super nice bed and put it in our guest bedroom.
From then on, every guest that stayed with us kept gushing about how amazing the bed was.
I didn’t know if they were being polite or if any bed felt great after a long flight to the east coast. We finally felt like we were missing out on something so we switched out our own bed for the guest bed to see what all of the fuss was about.
It was fabulous. Every time we go on vacation we come back and worship our own bed. Don’t ask me what brand it is because I can’t lift it to see (I tried).
Here’s a another piece of heaven all rolled up into these Chicken Parmesan Roll-ups. We make this Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan at least once a week. This version is a little more flavor intensified!
You can use chicken cutlets from your grocery store which are already thin flat pieces of meat or just cut a regular chicken breast lengthwise down the middle to create thin pieces of chicken.
These chicken breasts were from Costco and extremely thick so depending on the size you may need to pound them thinner even after cutting them in half.
Place them seamside down in a baking dish and top with your tomato mixture. I like that you use canned tomatoes here because I don’t always have fresh on hand.
You can also skip the tomatoes and use marinara sauce. My littles prefer the marinara sauce version but us adults like the tomato version.
If you’re breadcrumbs start to get too brown for your liking, cover the whole dish with foil for the remainder of the cooking time.
There’s nothing like biting into that crunchy topping!
If you love these Chicken Parmesan Roll-Ups, you’ll love these chicken recipes:
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, , chopped fine
- 6 garlic cloves, , minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian style diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 thin-cut, , boneless, skinless chicken cutlets, about 1 1/4 pounds (or slice regular chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create your own cutlets)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned Panko bread crumbs
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Take mixture off the heat and stir in half of basil. Transfer half of sauce to a baking dish.
- Combine mozzarella and Parmesan in medium bowl; reserve ½ cup of the mixture. Add remaining basil to remaining cheese. Pat cutlets dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Top cutlets with basil-cheese mixture, leaving 1-inch border at bottom of cutlets. Roll up tightly and arrange, seam side down, in prepared baking dish.
- Toss bread crumbs with remaining oil in small bowl. Top chicken with reserved cheese, remaining sauce, and bread-crumb mixture. Bake until chicken is cooked through and crumbs are golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts you may have to cook them longer. Check dish after 10 minutes of cooking and If the breadcrumbs get too brown for your liking cover with foil for the remaining baking time. Serve.
Source: Cook's Country
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 647 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 235mg Sodium: 594mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 78g