One-Pan Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice
One-Pan Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice is a cheesy, easy dinner loaded with simple ingredients like chicken, rice, and broccoli. This dish is perfect for a busy weeknight when things are hectic. Only one dish to clean for this satisfying one-pan dinner recipe.
I’m a little late to the one-pot, one-pan party. I don’t know why I’ve been resistant but with food trends, I’m either really early or really late to try them.
For example, I think I was the last person in the world to eat quinoa.
And cookie butter…, just had my first taste ever yesterday.
Subconsciously I was trying to avoid it because it’s one of those things that I knew I would find myself elbow deep in before realizing the whole jar was gone.
Move over Nutella, cookie butter is the hot ticket in town now (thanks Heather for buying me a jar).
Anywhoooo, back to one-pan dishes. I feel no reason to ever make anything in more than one pan now.
Which is why I made this One-Pan Mexican Rice Chicken yesterday. I loathe dishes. This is a trend I plan on hanging on to for a while.
To be honest, I wasn’t planning on sharing this dish, which is why there aren’t any step-by-step shots. But I have your back y’all. Easy dinners are hard to come by so I had to share. Especially chicken dinners (like these Baked Chicken Chimichangas).
I made it purely out of necessity trying to keep my house clean for 12 hours before I had to host Bunko so I looked up one-pan dishes so that I could keep my kitchen clean and still feed my family.
After I made it, it looked so pretty so I snapped a couple of pictures just in case. I found this recipe over at No. 2 Pencil. She has a ton of one-pot recipes that you guys should check out.
Broccoli is one of the few vegetables my whole family loves so I knew it would be a hit and it was. If broccoli isn’t a vegetable your family loves you can use spinach or asparagus.
This is the kind of chicken recipe that sits in your back pocket when it’s 5 pm and you don’t know what you’re making for dinner.
HOW TO MAKE ONE-PAN CHEESY CHICKEN, BROCCOLI, AND RICE:
- First, start by cooking your onions in a little olive oil in a 12-inch skillet. Once they’re soft you can add your seasoned chicken breast. If you’re using a rotisserie chicken you can add it later when you add the cheese.
- Next, you’ll saute your rice in a little olive oil. This gives the rice extra flavor by toasting it. Have your liquid on had because you’ll want it as soon as it’s done toasting.
- Add your chicken broth. I really like Better than Bouillon Chicken base in a can (you add water) which can be found right next to regular chicken broth.
- After the rice has been cooking for a while add your broccoli and let it steam.
- Finally, when all the liquid has been absorbed by the rice you’re ready to add the cheddar cheese. Stir 1/2 a cup in and sprinkle the rest on top to melt.
OTHER ONE-PAN DINNERS
- One-Pan Garlic Butter Chicken
- One-Pan Chicken Tortilla Bake
- Egg Roll in a Bowl
- One-Pan Chicken Fajita Rice
- Italian Sausage and Peppers
- One-Pot Sausage Broccoli Pasta
- Cheater Korean Beef
- One-Pan Tomato Basil Chicken Quinoa
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Skillet
- One-Pan Chicken Spinach and Orzo
- Creamy Chicken and Spinach
- One-Pan Creamy Zucchini Pasta
- Chicken Salad recipe
One-Pan Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion diced finely
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked extra long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth (I like to use Better than Buillion Chicken base)
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
In a large skillet or pan, sauté onions in two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Once onions soften, increase the heat to medium high and add chicken to the pan.
Brown the chicken pieces and add the garlic. Cook for about 1 more minute.
Push chicken to one side of the pan and add additional tablespoon of olive oil to other side.
Add the uncooked rice in the olive oil and saute it for a couple of minutes.
Add the chicken broth to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pan with a lid.
Cook chicken and rice mixture covered for about 12 minutes.
Sprinkle the broccoli evenly over the chicken and rice mixture and stir to combine.
Continue to cook covered another 8 minutes on low, or until broccoli and rice are both tender.
Remove from heat and stir in half a cup of cheese.
Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover with a lid, letting it sit for 1-2 minutes or until cheese has melted.
If you're using rotisserie chicken add the chicken at the end with the cheese just to heat it through.
You need a large skillet or pan with a higher edge for this dish to hold everything. I used a 12-inch skillet that had a slightly raised edge and it worked great.
Source: Number 2 Pencil