Tomato Basil Chicken Quinoa
Tomato Basil Chicken Quinoa is an easy one-pan healthy dinner that is done in under 30 minutes. Tired of doing dishes? You can make this Tomato Basil Chicken Quinoa in one-pan and use grilled, baked, or rotisserie chicken.
ONE-PAN TOMATO BASIL CHICKEN QUINOA
This week has been a week. We had a baptism, a funeral, and back to school for the kids. It’s been a week of beginnings and endings – both beautiful and hard at the same time.
The main take away from this week is that there are a lot of good people in this world. People have surprised me in silent service for those they didn’t even know. It’s been an incredible thing to watch and learn from.
Okay. Back to the food because that is what you came for. I just felt like I needed to let you know where I’ve been. It’s called life.
Back to school means I have to have easy dinners planned out or we just end up eating grilled cheese. Which hey, I love me some grilled cheese but we can’t have it every night.
This Tomato Basil Chicken Quinoa was a creation out of necessity. I had chicken and quinoa on hand and needed to make something out of it. Let’s keep it real. Everyone cried when they saw it and then said after tasting it, “Oh, this is actually really good.”
Quinoa is higher in protein, fiber, minerals, and vitamins that rice and oats. I chose tricolor quinoa for this dish but you can use regular as well.
HOW TO COOK MY CHICKEN?
This recipe calls for one pound of cooked chicken. You can use grilled, baked, pan-seared, or rotisserie chicken in this Tomato Basil Chicken Quinoa.
WHAT IS HALF AND HALF?
Half and half is just equal parts cream and milk. So for one cup of half and half, you could use 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup cream.
If you want it lighter in calories you can use all chicken broth instead of half and half.
OTHER ONE-PAN RECIPES
- One-pan Cheesy Broccoli, Chicken, and Rice
- One-Pan Easy Burrito Skillet
- One-Pan Mexican Chicken and Rice
- One-Pan Monterey Chicken Pasta
- One-Pan Ham and Rice Skillet
- One-Pan Chicken and Spinach Orzo
- One-Pan Sausage Broccoli Pasta
Tomato Basil Chicken Quinoa
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup white onion,, diced
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, (about 4 cloves)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained well
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil, more for garnish
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, more for sprinkling
- 1 lb chicken, cooked and sliced (see note)
- In a large skillet, melt butter and add the onion, quinoa, and garlic. Cook until onions are soft and translucent about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, half and half, tomatoes, and salt. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, then reduce to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until most of the mixture is absorbed. Stir in the basil and Parmesan cheese. Warm the chicken or add it on top and cover to warm the chicken.
- Sprinkle with additional Parmesan and basil to serve.