Monterey Jack Cheese Soup
This Monterey Jack Cheese Soup is creamy, warm, and comforting on a cold night!
MONTEREY JACK CHEESE SOUP
The great thing about my neighborhood is that on Halloween it is THE place to be. For some reason everyone flocks to our development and our street specifically. It could be because the houses are close together and so trick or treating is easier for the littles.
The streets are flooded with kids and last year we were one of the few houses that didn’t run out of candy. Probably because running out of candy would be mortifying to me and I always have a healthy stash on hand.
Neighbors that you don’t see all year are knocking on your door getting to know each other. I love it. It’s magical.
I always try to make sure that my kids eat something besides candy before our night of trick or treating begins. Every year I fix this Chicken Taco Soup because it can hang out all day until you’re ready to eat and it’s hearty and comforting.
But I may have to switch things up this year because we have a new favorite. This Monterey Jack Cheese Soup is creamy and full of flavor. As you know, I love a good cheese soup.
It has a hint of spice but nothing that caught attention of my kids. I usually don’t do meatless but this soup left nothing wanting. You could definitely add some shredded chicken to it to bulk it up.
I served with it homemade rolls that were perfect for dipping. Absolute heaven. I usually like to let the food do the talking but we were literally licking our bowls clean.
OTHER SOUP RECIPES
- Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Easy Tomato Soup
- Creamy Chicken Potato soup
- Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
- Egg Drop Soup
- Zuppa Toscana
Monterey Jack Cheese Soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (4 ounce can) diced green chiles
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup onion, finley chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups milk, hot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 lb Monterey jack cheese, coarsely chopped (about 3 cups - see note)
- In a medium pot bring broth, chiles, tomatoes, onion, and garlic to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes or until veggies are soft.
- While the veggies are cooking, melt the butter over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the flour and cook for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Stir in 3 1/2 cups of the hot milk, adding a 1/2 cup at a time. Cook 7 minutes over medium heat until thickened.
- Remove veggie/broth mixture from the heat and stir into milk mixture 1/4 cup at a time. Add remaining 1 1/2 cups of hot milk, salt and pepper and Monterey Jack cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Make sure your don't heat the cheese soup on too high of heat or the cheese will "break" and be grainy. Enjoy!