Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup
Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup is packed with spices and flavor! This easy Mexican soup is cooked on the stove top for an easy weeknight dinner.
SPICY CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP
Over at our house we’re in the process of what I’m affectionately calling “The Great Purge of 2014”.
We’re getting rid of all the junk, clutter, old clothes, and toys. We’re especially trying to let those oh I might need this if it’s 30 degrees and I’m going to an 80’s party type of things.
I’ve always said in a perfect world everyone should move every 3 years just to declutter and evaluate what you really need in life. When in doubt, chuck it out.
The hard part about this whole process is that it has to look worse before it gets better and when my house is in disarray, I get a little frazzled. At this point, a room with white walls with nothing in it sounds appealing.
It feels good. Although I can’t quite see the light at the end of the tunnel, we’ll get there.
This Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup is packed with flavor. I mean packed. And it’s on the spicy side. Enough where I had to walk my kids through it.
“Take a bite of soup, then take a drink of water. Take a bite of soup…then take a drink of water.”
Believe it or not they liked it. I spotted this recipe when I was browsing the magazines while waiting for a flight.
The recipe calls it a chili but the consistency is definitely more soup-like. I love the use of enchilada sauce in the broth to give it that authentic enchilada flavor.
If you like a green version of this try this Green Enchilada Pork Chili.
OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES
- Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- Chicken Parmesan Roll-Ups
- One-Pan Cheesy, Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice
- One-Pan Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Skillet
- One-Pan Mexican Chicken and Rice
- One-Pan Monterey Chicken Pasta
- Baked Parmesan Caesar Chicken
- One-Pot Bacon Broccoli Pasta
- One-Pan Baked Ziti Skillet
- Tomato Basil Chicken Quinoa
- One-Pan Chicken and Spinach Orzo
Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 32-ounce container chicken broth
- 1 10-ounce can green enchilada sauce
- 1 10-ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 1 15-ounce can corn, drained
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- Garnish: sliced green onions, toritilla chips
- In a large pot melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chicken, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook mixture for 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Add the broth, enchilada sauces, corn, pinto beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the cheese and sour cream and stir until melted. Garnish with green onions and tortilla chips.