Italian Meatball Recipe
I have been searching for the perfect recipe for homemade meatballs for a long time. I’ve tried breadcrumbs, soaked bread in milk, all beef, a combo of meats, cheese, you name it. The amount of meatballs I’ve made is obscene. This is the one.
INGREDIENTS IN MEATBALLS
- GROUND BEEF – A pound of meat of both beef and pork make for the best meatballs.
- GROUND PORK
- EGGS – This holds the meatballs together.
- SOAKED BREAD – Sure you can use breadcrumbs but in my testing soaked bread was definitely the most tender and moist meatballs. Leftover bread works great here.
- ITALIAN FLAT LEAF PARSLEY – You could also use dried Italian seasoning but fresh herbs are so much better.
- PARMIGIANO REGGIANO – Very similar to regular Parmesan and if you substituted regular I won’t be mad at you. However, the flavors are slightly different. Their aging processes are different and the cheese has to come from a particular region of Italy to be called Parmigiano Reggiano.
- FINELY DICED ONION
- SALT AND PEPPER
- RED PEPPER
- MARINARA – The meatballs are cooked in the sauce. Homemade marinara sauce is best but Rao’s brand is pretty dang close.
HOW TO MAKE MEATBALLS
Bread soaked in milk. I know. It sounds weird but makes for juicy meatballs.
Yes, this makes a lot of meatballs. You can half this recipe if you want to.
THE BEST MEATBALL RECIPES:
- Parmesan Chicken Meatballs
- Swedish Meatballs
- BBQ and Grape Jelly
- Mini Italian Meatballs
- Asian Turkey Meatballs
- Keto Meatballs
- 4 slices white bread, stale, (2 cups fresh breadcrumbs can be replaced)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 lb ground beef , (85% lean beef)
- 1 lb ground pork, (not sausage)
- 1/2 cup very finely diced yellow onion
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, (see note)
- 1 teaspoon salt, (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, (optional)
- ground pepper to taste
- 32 ounces marinara sauce, (I like Rao's)
- In a medium bowl, add the bread and pour the milk over it. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the rest of the meatball ingredients. Squeeze the bread with your hands, discarding the extra liquid and add it to the meatball mixture. Mix meatball mixture well until combined.
- In a very large skillet, add the marinara sauce. Roll the meatball mixture into balls about 2 tablespoons each and place in the marinara sauce.
- Bring sauce and meatballs to a about a medium to medium low heat and cook for 30-40 minutes or until meatballs are not pink in the center. Garnish with basil if desired.