KETO MEATBALL RECIPE
Half my household is eating Keto and the other half are not. I’m in this weird place where I don’t want to make two dinners so I’m trying to come up with dinners that satisfy both crowds.
I don’t have anyone that has to eat gluten-free in my house but I just spent the weekend with the brother in Arizona and he is gluten-free. It made me so much more aware of what we were eating. We went to Raising Canes and he had to get the chicken fingers without breading.
Traditional meatballs usually have breadcrumbs in them which give them a more tender texture. These gluten-free meatballs don’t have breadcrumbs in them but have cheese inside to make them soft!
The ingredients in these meatballs are simple: ground beef, sausage, Parmesan, spices, and mozzarella.
INGREDIENTS IN KETO MEATBALLS
- Ground Beef and bulk Italian pork Sausage – I like to use a combo of beef and ground pork sausage in my meatballs. This is gives them the best flavor. You could use ground chicken or ground turkey but they’re not the best meat for Keto.
- Eggs – Since we aren’t using bread crumbs in the mixture, eggs give the meatballs a tender texture.
- Parmesan – Grated Parmesan gives the meatballs a cheesy taste.
- Spices – A blend of onion powder, Italian seasonings, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes give these great flavor.
- Mozzarella Cheese – You can’t go wrong with cheesy meatballs especially for a low-carb meatball recipe.
- Marinara – You can use any low-carb tomato sauce but I like to use Rao’s marinara or Rao’s pizza sauce for this recipe. You could also use crushed tomatoes.
The meatballs are baked almost completely then topped with marinara.
Top with cheese and bake until bubbly!
Top with basil or Italian parsley!
There are two methods to meatballs. You can either bake them or brown them on the stove which is much more tedious. Baking the meatballs in a casserole pan or a baking sheet is so easy! I even use a cupcake scoop to make sure the meatballs are all the same size.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
WHAT TO EAT THESE OVER
- Zucchini noodles
- Spaghetti squash
- Steamed broccoli
OTHER KETO RECIPES:
- Keto Egg Roll In a Bowl
- Keto Biscuits
- Warm Bacon Cheese Dip
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Cloud Bread
- Bacon Asparagus Frittata Recipe
- Keto Broccoli Salad
- Cinnamon Keto Pork Rinds
- Lasagna in a Bowl
- Egg Drop Soup
OTHER ITALIAN RECIPES:
- Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Mini Italian Meatloaves
- Antipasto Salad
- Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- Crockpot Italian Chicken
- Chicken Parmesan Meatball Sliders
- 1 lb ground beef, (80/20 mix is good)
- 1 lb ground bulk Italian pork sausage
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons coarse Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup marinara or pizza sauce, (I like Rao's brand)
- (optional) fresh basil or parsley for topping
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, pork, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, Parmesan, eggs, spices, garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Using a scoop, make 20 meatballs and place in the casserole dish.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink in the middle. Remove pan from the oven and drain the grease.
- Spoon the marinara sauce on top of each meatball and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese on top. Bake for 5-10 minutes or untll the cheese is nice and melted. Garnish with basil and parsley if desired and serve.