EASY SALISBURY STEAK RECIPE
The first time I made this my husband immediately said, “We need to add this to the regular rotation.” So I guess that means he liked it.
WHAT IS SALISBURY STEAK?
Salisbury steak is a dish made in the United States made from ground beef and is considered a version of a Hamburg steak. It is typically served with a brown gravy.
There’s nothing “steak” about this besides the shape of the hamburger patties.
HAMBURGER STEAK VS. SALISBURY STEAK
What is the difference? The main difference is the Salisbury steak mixture has egg, seasonings, onions, and sauces whereas a hamburger steak is just salt and pepper in the beef patties.
- GROUND BEEF – I like to use a slightly leaner beef here like 85%/15%.
- PANKO BREAD CRUMBS
- DIJON MUSTARD
- WORCESTERSHIRE – I love the flavor that this adds.
- BEEF BROTH – I really like the Better than Bouillon Beef broth or any low-sodium beef stock can be used.
- WHITE MUSHROOMS
- ONIONS – I love the flavor of onions but in the patties I like it to be really finely diced or grated. For the onion gravy, sliced onions are best.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS
You can serve this by itself, over mashed potatoes, egg noodles, or rice. I like to serve with a green vegetable like asparagus, green beans, or broccoli.
OTHER BEEF RECIPES
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, divided
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons Ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, (if using fine salt use less)
- dash worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- remainder of onion from above, sliced
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth, (I like Better than Bouillon Base)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- Place the beef in a large bowl. Finely dice or grate 1/4 cup of the onion. Add the 1/4 cup onion to the ground meat. Slice the remaining onion and reserve for the gravy. Add the breadcrumbs, egg, ketchup, mustard, salt, and worcestershire.
- Mix until combined and form into four oval patties about 3/4 inch thick.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown the meat patties on each side about 2 minutes. Remove cooked patties from the pan onto a plate.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and cook on medium-high for about 3-4 minutes or until onions are soft and mushrooms are golden brown.. Add more olive oil if needed. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Lower the skillet to medium heat and melt the butter in the pan. Sprinkle the flour on top and cook for one minute. Slowly whisk in the beef broth. Add the ketchup, Dijon mustard, and worcestershire. Continue cooking for 4-5 minute or until mixture starts to thicken. Taste gravy and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Add the patties back into the pan with the onion gravy and heat for a few minutes until patties are cooked through. Serve over mashed potatoes, egg noodles, or rice if desired. Store leftover salisbury steak in an airtight container.