This Macaroni Salad is a classic side dish with pasta, celery, red bell pepper, and onions in a creamy dressing. You can add hard boiled eggs if you want.
MACARONI SALAD RECIPE
Macaroni salads come is all different shapes and tastes. Some people like them on the savory side and some people like them sweet as candy. I prefer mine more on the savory side.
This is the ultimate side dish for your barbeque or potluck!
- ELBOW MACARONI – Any short pasta will work here but elbow macaroni is traditional.
- CELERY – This gives the salad crunch and texture.
- BELL PEPPERS – You can use any color pepper here. It adds crunch and vibrant color.
- GREEN ONIONS – I love the flavor of onion. Green onions offer a more mild flavor but red onion can be used as well.
- MAYONNAISE – This is the base for a creamy salad.
- MUSTARD – Adds a little bite and acidity.
- VINEGAR – This sounds weird but the vinegar gives the dressing some bite.
- HARD BOILED EGGS – Not every pasta salad has hard boiled eggs in it but I really love the flavor.
- PAPRIKA – Not only does paprika add color but it also adds flavor.
OTHER PASTA SALAD RECIPES
- Caprese Pesto Pasta Salad
- Broccoli Grape Pasta Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Pizza Pasta Salad
- Taco Pasta Salad
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup diced celery, (about 2 stalks)
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper, (or any color)
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped, (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 Tablespoons white or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, if using regular salt use 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large pot of salted water, prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and cool.
- Add cooled pasta to a large bowl along with the rest of the ingredients except the paprika. Stir well. Sprinkle with paprika. Chill until serving.