Ham and Potato Soup
Creamy Ham and Potato Soup – so comforting and warm on a cold day! This soup is a great way to use up leftover ham.
CREAMY HAM AND POTATO SOUP RECIPE
After Easter and Christmas dinner I always am looking for leftover ham recipes to use all my ham! This stovetop soup is the perfect solution! It’s a hearty soup that is pure comfort food. A family favorite!
There are simple ingredients in this ham soup.
- POTATOES – We usually use Russet or Yukon gold potatoes but red potatoes can also be used.
- HAM – You can use leftover baked ham or ham steaks.
- ONION – You could use green onions as a substitute.
- CHICKEN STOCK OR BROTH
- MILK – No heavy cream here!
WHAT KIND OF POTATOES SHOULD I USE?
FAVORITE SOUP RECIPES
- Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Easy Tomato Soup
- Creamy Chicken Potato soup
- Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
- Egg Drop Soup
- Cheesy Potato Soup
- Zuppa Toscana
Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
- 3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 3 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ground white or black pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- Combine the potatoes, celery, onion,, ham and chicken broth in a pot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk so that lumps don't form and until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. You can add a little more milk or chicken broth to thin it out if needed.
- Top with cheddar cheese, chives, and bacon if desired. Serve immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.