Crock pot Potato Soup couldn’t be any easier and is the ultimate comfort food. It’s cooked all day in the slow cooker and is great recipe for a cold day. Top with salty bacon, cheese, and green onions for a loaded baked potato soup.
CROCKPOT POTATO SOUP
I’m not handling this cold weather gracefully.
I know my husband dreams that someday we will move to somewhere colder but I really can’t do cold weather.
Like really. Today it was 39 degrees here in Florida and I wanted to huddle in a ball and do nothing all day. Is that normal?
Or are some people invigorated by the cold weather? I braved the cold during my college years and I don’t think I took off my pea coat the entire four years.
This easy potato soup recipe has a really high taste to effort ratio. Just throw it in the Crock Pot and you have a delicious soup. Sure I have this Creamy Chicken and Potato soup but this one is so easy!
- FROZEN HASH BROWNS POTATOES – you can use shredded or diced potatoes. Some people like to use fresh here. Just use the same amount doesn’t really matter what kind of potatoes as long as you cook them until fork tender.
- CHICKEN STOCK OR BROTH – you could also use vegetable broth here. I like to use low sodium chicken broth so I can control the salt.
- CREAM OF CHICKEN – makes it a thicker soup but has so much flavor.
- CHOPPED ONION – I like to use yellow onions here.
- CREAM CHEESE – adds that creamy base to the soup. There’s no heavy cream or sour cream so this is the creamy factor.
- TOPPINGS: cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, sliced green onions
HOW TO MAKE CROCKPOT POTATO SOUP
In a slow cooker, combine potatoes, chicken broth, soup, onion, and pepper.
Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. If your potatoes are still in big chunks you need to cook it longer. They will start falling apart when it’s ready. You don’t have to use an immersion blender. In fact, it’s good with a few chunks.
Add the cream cheese and cook 30 minutes or until cream cheese is melted, stirring occasionally, until combined.
Top with cheese, cooked bacon, or sliced green onions if desired.
HOW TO MAKE POTATO SOUP
This is the best potato soup recipe with a creamy texture. Add some extra cheese on top to make it an out of this world cheesy potato soup.
If you’re someone who gets scared from the one cream of chicken soup in this than you can make this Creamy Ham version of Potato Soup. It’s great too.
Then if you’re a mean mom like me you’ll make your kids stir in some steamed broccoli. They actually didn’t mind at all.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge!
If you don’t want to use frozen potatoes you can use fresh potatoes like Russet potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes. Dice the potatoes and continue with the directions.
HOW DO YOU MAKE POTATO SOUP NOT BLAND?
It’s all about the toppings! Add some bacon, a dollop of sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese, and green onions to your potato soup bowls.
IS THIS GLUTEN-FREE?
No. Cream of chicken soups usually are thickened with flour. You could find a gluten-free version.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS?
Serve with steamed veggies or a salad.
OTHER SOUP RECIPES
- Healthy Vegetable Chicken Soup
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
- Cauliflower Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Easy Tomato Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Creamy Chicken Potato soup
- Lasagna Soup
OTHER POTATO RECIPES:
- Ultimate Twice Baked Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Jalapeno Popper Mashed Potatoes
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Ruth’s Chris Sweet Potato Casserole
- Scalloped Potatoes
Creamy Potato Soup
- 1 (30 ounce) bag frozen hash-brown potatoes (I used cubed)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth (see Note)
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, (more to taste)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (softened)
- Optional Toppings: cheese, bacon, sliced green onions
- In a slow cooker, combine potatoes, chicken broth, soup, onion, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. If your potatoes are still in big chunks you need to cook it longer. They will start falling apart when it's ready.
- Add the cream cheese and cook 30 minutes or until cream cheese is melted, stirring occasionally, until combined.
- Top with cheese, bacon, or sliced green onions if desired.