Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcake
Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcake is melt in your mouth buttery shortcake with mini chocolate chips topped with strawberries and whipped cream. A fun summer dessert. I have struggled for so long to find a Strawberry Shortcake that I love and this recipe is divine!
CHOCOLATE CHIP STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
It’s almost Mother’s Day. You know I have mixed emotions about Mother’s Day. I wrote all about it here. I love celebrating my mom. That’s easy. She’s practically a saint. I’m grateful to be a mom, although the praise on Mother’s Day makes me uncomfortable because I just can’t master that patience thing and I know I can be doing better.
This year my heart is heavy because I had some friends lose their 3-year-old daughter and all I can think about is how Mother’s Day is going to be so hard for them. And for my nephew who lost his mom (my sister) 8 years ago,…it’s always a rough day. Or for the people who are dear to me but have never been able to be a mom but are awesome aunts, sisters, and daughters. I want them to feel the love too. Ugh. Life is hard sometimes. As much as it’s wonderful there’s this other side that I just want to fix and make everything better.
Mother’s Day is predictable over here. Steak, crab, and asparagus on Costco paper plates. I wouldn’t have it any other way. You know that everything tastes better when someone else fixes it for you. As if crab in butter could get any better.
Over the past couple of years I’ve tried making Strawberry Shortcake for my husband, since it’s his favorite and have failed miserably. Every time it’s been bland, dry biscuits that even strawberries and cream couldn’t mask.
This Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcake has a buttery melt in your mouth consistency IF you don’t overbake it. Depending on your oven, you’ll have to make sure you bake them until they’re golden brown on top barely but still have a soft center. You know it’s a winner when I just can’t wait to share it with you.
I personally love the little bites of chocolate the mini chocolate chips give throughout but you can totally leave them out if that’s a deal breaker for you.
OTHER STRAWBERRY RECIPES
- Strawberries and Cream Sheet Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake with Almond Glaze
- Strawberry Chocolate Chip Oreos
- Strawberries and Cream Cake
- Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
- Strawberry Puffcakes
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcake
These Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcake is melt in your mouth buttery shortcake with mini chocolate chips topped with strawberries and whipped cream. A fun summer dessert.
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar (see note - you may not need this)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar , more for sprinkling
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter , melted (plus 1 tablespoon melted butter for top of biscuits)
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Whipped cream , optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine strawberries and sugar; cover and refrigerate until serving. You only need the sugar if you want to make a strawberry sauce. You can also just omit the sugar and used sliced strawberries.
- For the biscuits: In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk gently. Add the cream and 1/2 cup melted butter into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop 1/3 cup portions of batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. You do not want to overbake them or they will be dry. If you bake them until they just turn golden brown the middle will still be moist. Remove to wire racks to cool (or serve them slightly warm).
- Cut biscuits in half horizontally. Top with whipped cream and strawberries. Add biscuit tops and more whipped cream and strawberries. Serve immediately.
You only need the sugar if you want to make a strawberry sauce. You can also just omit the sugar and used sliced strawberries.
Source: Taste of Home