This Taco Party Bread is a fun appetizer made with sourdough bread stuffed with taco meat, cheese, and topped with your favorite taco fixings. I know I’ve made this version of this bread and a Pizza version, but I thought it was about time a Mexican version made it’s way to my blog. If you’re not familiar with this bread it’s called pull apart bread or party bread. It gets everyone in the kitchen interacting and eating which is why I love it.
It starts with a loaf of sourdough bread. You can use any round loaf but I’ve found that the texture of sourdough holds up best and it’s my favorite when it comes to taste. Start by using a serrated knife to cut the bread in 1-inch slices both width and lengthwise cutting all the way down to the base of the bread without cutting all the way through. Stuff your bread with taco seasoned meat. You want the meat slightly cooled here for obvious reasons. Make sure you get it in every crack of the bread so that every bite has meat in it. Repeat with shredded cheese. One of life’s greatest pleasures is bread and cheese.
Next is the fun part! Top with your favorite toppings. I kind of pile them in the middle and then guests can pull pieces from the side and dip in the middle. Or you can have a toppings bar and let people pick their own. This bread is so good. You will love it!
|Taco Party Bread|| |
- ½ lb ground beef
- 3 tablespoons Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix, divided
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 round loaf sourdough bread
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Toppings: green onions, sour cream, diced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, brown the beef until done and no longer pink.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning and 3 tablespoons of water. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Using a serrated knife, cut 1 inch slices in the bread lengthwise and widthwise without cutting all the way through. It’s a little tricky going the second way but the bread is forgiving.
- Sprinkle taco meat in the cracks of the bread making sure to evenly distribute it. Do the same with the shredded cheese making sure to get it deep inside the cracks.
- Wrap bread in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While bread is baking, combine melted butter and remaining 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning in a small bowl. Remove bread from oven. Unwrap and brush the outside of the bread with the taco seasoning mixture.
- Continue to bake bread uncovered for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread has slightly browned.
- Garnish with green onions, sour cream, and tomatoes right before serving. Pull apart and enjoy!