Florida is a melting pot of different cultures. At the gym by my house at any given moment I can hear conversations going on around me in at least three different languages. I thought I had rhythm but the ONE time I tried Zumba my Latin friends put me to shame! I love the diversity and flavor in everything around us from the architecture to…my favorite, the food.
My friends made the most amazing flank steak with Chimichurri sauce when I was at her house for dinner. She’s from Argentina and she said that Chimichurri sauce is often referred to as the ketchup of Argentina. It’s a bright, clean sauce made from parsley, vinegar, garlic, and olive oil. I wish they sold Chimichurri sauce in bulk at Costco. This Skinny Cumin Steak with Chimichurri Sauce is light and delicious!
Traditionally Chimichurri has a ton of olive oil in it but since we’re trying to eat healthier this week I searched for a lightened up version and found this. This Chimichurri sauce gets some extra bite with some horseradish added in which my husband loves with any type of beef. I doubled the Chimichurri sauce because there wasn’t enough to even process in my food processor or blender in the original recipe. With double the sauce this dish is still only 269 calories!
- 1⅓ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- To prepare chimichurri, combine first 8 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth.
- To prepare steak, rub steak with cumin, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper. Preheat grill to medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Grill 3 minutes per side or until desired doneness. To cook in a pan: Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.
- Remove from pan; let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Serve with chimichurri sauce.