This Slow Cooker Chicken Caesar Sandwiches are my favorite thing to feed a crowd.
For some reason, during this pregnancy half the food I crave is really bad for me.
The other half is really, really bad for me.
For example, my husband bought one of those huge bags of chocolate at Costco for his seminary students. You know those big bags of assorted miniature candy bars that they sell around Halloween. He hid the bag, because hello, he’s been married 10 years to me and knows better.
I, of course, found his hiding spot and snuck a treat for myself and the kids every once in while. I didn’t think I did much damage but after two weeks he checked his stash and was shocked to see that all that was left was a plethora of plain M&Ms.
So after a slight reprimanding by my husband on self control, rebutted by me explaining that “chocolate makes me happy and doesn’t he want me to be happy?“, I headed to Costco to replace his bag of chocolate.
I don’t know what it is about Costco but I seem to be a magnet there for unnecessary comments. Remember when the checker called me lazy.
Well this time as I was checking out, I was immediately stopped by the checker as she said, “Whoa…don’t lift any of that. You’re going to pop any second.”
“Nope.” I said, still unloading my cart. “I still have 12 weeks.”
I didn’t have the heart to tell her that I actually am a lot smaller this pregnancy than any of my other pregnancies. Which really isn’t saying much.
“Are you sure?” she said.
Oh man, Do I really have to answer that? – I thought to myself. In her defense, I did just eat a Costco sized bag of chocolate. At least is was better than the, “There’s no way there’s only one baby in there.” comment.
Doesn’t everyone know the only thing you should EVER say to a pregnant woman is, “You look great.”
These Slow Cooker Chicken Caesar Sandwiches will have everyone saying only good things. I found them on my SIL Kristy’s blog and since I trust her taste, I knew I had to try them. I’ve had a hankering for Chicken Caesar anything lately and these were super easy and hit the spot. The chicken thighs fall apart in the crockpot and are so much more tender than chicken breasts (although you could use those too). My family loved these.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ to 1 cup of your favorite Caesar dressing (I like Cardini's and Brianna's Asiago Caesar)
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley (if you don't have fresh use around 2 teaspoons of dried parsley)
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 12 slider buns or 4-6 regular sized hamburger buns
- Place chicken in a 3-4 quart slow cooker with 1-2 cups of water, cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
- Remove chicken from cooker using a slotted spoon and drain the water from the slow cooker. Place chicken on a cutting board and pull chicken into shreds, discarding any fat.
- Place chicken back in the cooker and pour dressing, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and pepper over the top. I really make sure that I discard any fat pieces so by the time I was done I only used about ½ cup of dressing but you make need more if you have more chicken. Stir until mixed evenly. Cover and cook on high heat for 30 minutes or until mixture is hot.
- Spoon ¼ cup mixture onto each slider bun if you are making sliders or more for regular sized buns. Top with extra shredded Parmesan cheese and lettuce to serve.