Confession. In getting back to reality, I’m up to my eyeballs in laundry and errands and still haven’t unpacked my bags. In my defense while I was packing I went for the when in doubt take everything approach. So the first night home from Hawaii John had already gone to bed and I stayed up late catching up on things and finally headed to bed around 1:00am. I couldn’t find my toothbrush because I had taken it out of my toiletry bag while I was packing because it kept turning on every time I tried to zip up my bag. I ended up throwing it somewhere in my suitcase where it wouldn’t buzz.
I didn’t want to disturb my husband by turning on the lights trying to find MY toothbrush, instead I grabbed his toothbrush sitting on the counter. Gross I know. But this is the man I kiss so it’s not that far off base. Have any of you done that? With Valentine’s day around the corner it’s got me thinking about what defines love and relationships and if sharing your toothbrush isn’t love (or desperation), I don’t know what is. But before we jump into Love Week, we’re still gearing up for the Super Bowl around here.
I knew the first time I tasted this Hoagie Dip at my friend Kaela’s house that it had to be part of my Super Bowl menu this year. To me it tasted just like an Italian sandwich at Subway so I knew John would love it too. We found it best to spread it over sliced hoagies instead of actually dipping it. So you can basically feed you footballs fans subs without the tedious work of making all of the sandwiches. I love this one and it will be added to my keeper list. Just get the meats at your deli counter so you don’t have to buy a huge pack of all of the meats.
- ½ purple onion diced
- 4 pickled pepperoncini peppers drained and diced (reserve some pepperoncini juice for the sauce)
- ½ head iceberg lettuce chopped about the size of nickels
- 1 large tomato, halved, seeded, and diced
- ¼ pound deli-sliced Genoa salami, sliced and diced
- ¼ pound deli-sliced ham, sliced and diced
- ¼ pound deli-sliced prosciutto, sliced and diced
- ¼ pound deli-sliced roast turkey, diced
- ¼ pound deli-sliced provolone cheese, sliced and diced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon pepperoncini juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 10-to-12-inch round loaf of choice, hollowed out
- 8 hoagie rolls, cut into pieces or halves for spreading dip on
- Combine the chopped vegetables, meats and cheese in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise, olive oil, vinegar, pepperoncini juice, oregano, and red pepper flakes and stir until everything is all mixed up.
- If you are going to serve within an hour, pour the dressing over the meat/veggie mixture and toss until combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- If you are NOT eating it soon, keep all ingredients refrigerated until about an hour before then toss together so that the lettuce does not get soggy.
- Carve out the center of the bread loaf to make a bowl and cut the top piece taken out into bite-size pieces. Serve the hoagie dip in the bread bowl, with the extra bread and hoagie rolls to scoop it up.
- Spread dip over bread and enjoy!