Tamale Pie is a comfort food classic with beef, corn, and tomatoes topped with a cornbread crust.
EASY TAMALE PIE RECIPE
This is a Mexican meal that is the ultimate comfort food and a family favorite. The meat mixture is seasoned with tomatoes, enchilada sauce, corn, and black olives.
- DICED TOMATOES
- WHOLE KERNEL CORN – Corn adds a little sweetness. You could also add a can of black beans to bulk it up.
- ENCHILADA SAUCE – I like to use mild but if you like a little more spice use a medium heat version. I tried tomato sauce and tomato paste but the enchilada sauce just had the best flavor.
- GREEN CHILES
- CHILI POWDER
- GROUND CUMIN
- SHREDDED CHEESE
- CORNMEAL – You can find corn flour next to the flour at the grocery store.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE A CORNBREAD MIX?
Yes, the cornbread topping in a traditional tamale pie is a bit more dense than a corn muffin mix but can be used.
And of course the toppings make this dish!
OTHER MEXICAN RECIPES:
- Chicken Tamale Casserole
- One-Pan Mexican Chicken and Rice
- Pico De Gallo
- One-Pan Chicken Fajita Pasta
- One-Pan Chicken Tortilla Bake
- Mini Chicken Chimichangas
- One-Pan Beef Burrito Skillet
- Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- Mini Burritos
- Cheesy Bean Salsa Chicken
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced olives, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: sour cream, guacamole, and pico de gallo
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion until the beef is no longer pink. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Drain.
- Add the tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, green chiles, olives, chili powder, and cumin. Cook for about 5 minutes until liquid has reduced. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour in the prepared baking dish.
- For the cornmeal topping: Combine all the ingredients and stir well. Pour over beef mixture.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until cornmeal mixture is firm. Top with a dollop of sour cream, guacamole, or pico de gallo. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.