Pumpkin Dump Cake
This Pumpkin Dump Cake is a simple fall cake cake gets dumped into a pan with a buttery crust. This dessert is for pumpkin fans and is an easy fall dessert. It’s like a classic pumpkin pie all dressed up with a sweet pumpkin filling and crunchy pecans. The perfect Thanksgiving dessert.
EASY DUMP CAKE RECIPE
I made this pumpkin dump cake for a food company I worked for back in 2009. I remember I had it on the counter and my sister who was visiting Florida could not stop eating it. She just left her fork in the pan because she couldn’t leave it alone.
“I don’t know what this is but I can’t stop eating it,” she said.
“Dump cake. You’re eating dump cake,” I said impressed that she could smash a whole dessert and flattered that she thought it was so good.
WHAT IS A DUMP CAKE?
Such a weird name for a dessert but traditionally a dump cake has some kind of base (fruit or other) topped with a cake mix. Melted butter is poured on the top layer and then it’s baked until bubbly. Dump cake recipes are the easiest dessert with the best results.
- PUMPKIN PUREE – canned pumpkin is what you want, not pumpkin pie mix.
- EVAPORATED MILK
- BROWN SUGAR
- PUMPKIN PIE SPICE – See the recipe below for an at home substitution.
- BOX OF YELLOW CAKE MIX – You can use spice cake mix as well.
- PECANS – If you’re not a fan of pecans you can leave them out.
DO I SERVE THIS HOT OR COLD?
Usually this is served warm with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream. It can be eaten cold or room temperature which makes it a great recipe.
OTHER PUMPKIN RECIPES:
- Pumpkin Bread
- Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Fudge
- Easy Pumpkin Cake
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Melt in Your Mouth Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Earthquake Cake
- Pumpkin Pancakes
Pumpkin Dump Cake
This easy Pumpkin Dump Cake recipe is a fall dessert that gets dumped into a pan with a buttery crust. This is always a crowd pleasing dessert with fall flavors. The perfect end to Thanksgiving dinner.
- 1 can 15 oz pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 can 12 oz evaporated milk
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice see note for substitute
- 1 15.25 ounce box yellow cake mix (a spice cake mix can be substituted)
- 1 cup chopped pecans optional
- 3/4 cup butter melted
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
In a large bowl, mix pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, and pumpkin spice until well blended. Spread pumpkin mixture in prepared baking dish. Mixture will be very wet.Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly on top of the pumpkin layer.. If adding pecans, sprinkle them over the cake mix. Pour melted butter over the top of the cake mix. Bake 50 minutes or until top is golden brown.Let the cake cool completely. Top with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
For this recipe to substitute the 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice you'll need:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves