Pumpkin Earthquake Cake
Pumpkin Earthquake Cake is a moist pumpkin cake with coconut, pecans, and swirled with a cream cheese mixture which gives it the “earthquake” look! If you’ve got a sweet tooth, you’ll love this fall dessert.
PUMPKIN EARTHQUAKE CAKE
This my friends is a Pumpkin Earthquake Cake. If you aren’t familiar with Earthquake Cakes they are generally just a cake batter with a cream cheese mixture swirled throughout.
When it bakes it makes huge crevasses that are reminiscent of the aftermath of an earthquake.
I’ve only seen chocolate earthquake cakes and I’ve been dreaming of a pumpkin version. Even ask my husband.
This is all I’ve talked about for a week…is this cake. We’ve done different versions and this is the winner my friends!!
What you don’t see underneath the cake batter is coconut and pecans on the bottom.
Feel free to leave them out if you’re not a fan but the pecans give it a little crunch!
This cream cheese swirl – who are we kidding? It’s basically frosting, melted and swirled throughout. Genius, right? Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
I like milk chocolate but you can definitely use semisweet.
As you see after it bakes and cools it has these cool little canyons of filling throughout earning its name as an Earthquake cake.
Look how absolutely divine this looks and trust me, it tastes even better.
OTHER PUMPKIN RECIPES:
- Pumpkin Cake
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bars
- Pumpkin Scotchies
- The Best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Pumpkin Bread
- Classic Pumpkin Roll
Pumpkin Earthquake Cake
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
For the cake:
- 1 (15.25 oz) yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, , melted
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, (or semi-sweet chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the coconut and pecans evenly over the bottom of the dish.
- For the cake: In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, pumpkin, water, oil, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix until well combined and pour over the coconut and pecans.
- For the filling: Place cream cheese in a medium bowl and microwave for about a minute or until it's really soft. Add the melted butter and stir until combined. Add the powdered sugar and stir until smooth.
- Place dollops of the filling all over the top of the cake batter and then using a knife, gently swirl it through.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips and bake for 30-40 minutes. Because of the filling the cake will not look completely done but will as it cools. Serve warm. Great with ice cream too!