Chicken Taco Soup
Chicken Taco Soup is a quick and easy taco soup recipe for a cold night! One of our favorite crock pot meals that can be made in the slow cooker or on the stove top. Some people call this a 7 can chicken taco soup recipe. Serve this with some sweet cornbread and a guacamole salad!
CHICKEN TACO SOUP RECIPE
(originally posted 2009)
I was Dorothy for Halloween probably four years in a row as a little girl. Being the sweet freak then as well as now I would eat my Halloween candy as I trick or treated.
Or maybe I knew my mom was going to hide most of it when I got home so I was trying to consume all I could while I had control over my goods.
By the time I came home I would have a massive stomach ache and would belly up my little pigtails to the bar while my mom fixed me warm chicken noodle soup to balance all that sugar.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN TACO SOUP
Stir onion, beans, corn, tomato sauce, dice tomatoes, and taco sauce into a slow cooker.
Set slow cooker to low heat, cover, and cook for 3-4 hours on low if your chicken is thawed. May take 4-5 hours on low if your chicken is frozen.
Remove chicken breasts from the soup and shred. Stir shredded chicken back into the soup.
Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips.
STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS:
Simmer on the stove for 30 minutes or until chicken is done.
EASY WAY TO SHRED CHICKEN
CAN YOU FREEZE TACO SOUP?
Yes. You can freeze this taco soup before or after cooking. You can freeze this in gallon freezable bags which make it easier for thawing and reheating.
OTHER SOUP RECIPES:
- Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Mom’s White Chicken Chili
- Buffalo Chicken Chili
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Healthy Spicy Black Bean and Beef Chili
- Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Quinoa Chili
- Green Enchilada Pork Chili
Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 white onion, chopped finely
- 1 (16 oz.) can chili beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1 (1.25 oz.) package taco seasoning
- 3 whole skinless, boneless, chicken breasts, thawed or frozen
- Stir onion, beans, corn, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and taco seasoning into a slow cooker. *I sautee the onion before to make sure that they are not crunchy. Lay the chicken breast on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly so that it gets covered by other ingredients. Set slow cooker to low heat, cover, and cook for 3-4 hours on low if your chicken is thawed. May take 4-5 hours on low if your chicken is frozen.
- Remove chicken breasts from the soup and shred. Stir shredded chicken back into the soup. You can add some water if you like it a little thinner.
- Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips.