Creamy Lemon Crumb Squares
CREAMY LEMON CRUMB SQUARES
Does anyone else feel like summer is slipping away? I had a dinner the other night and I was in charge of dessert and didn’t have many ingredients on hand but happened to have everything for these. These bars almost tast like key lime bars. In fact, you can substitute lime juice if you want. The lemon version is summery and light!
I sometimes serve these with strawberries and fresh whipped cream but that’s just because I like to complicate things. These are great just all by themselves…just ask my babysitter. I noticed when we returned home about 3 were gone from the plate of extras I had stuck in the fridge.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY LEMON CRUMB SQUARES
Press half of the crumb mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan.
The filling is simple. Sweetened condensed milk with lemon juice and lemon zest.
Sprinkle the top with the remainder of the crumble.
Bake until nice and golden brown.
Let the bars cool completely. Chill, cut, and serve.
CAN I USE LIME JUICE INSTEAD OF LEMON JUICE?
Yes! If you love Key Lime Pie, you’ll love the lime version of this.
I DON’T HAVE AN 8×11 PAN
An 8×11 dish isn’t one that everyone has. You can use a 9×13 baking dish but they will be really thin. My suggestion is to roll up foil and place it on one end of a 9×13 to make a barrier to the size of an 8×11 if you don’t have one.
OTHER LEMON RECIPES
- Lemon Brownies
- Lemon Lush
- Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- Lemon Blueberry Trifle
- Lemon Pie
- Blueberry Lemon Crescent Ring
- Lemon Sheet Cake
Creamy Lemon Crumb Squares
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8x11 inch pan (see Note) with cooking spray.
- Mix butter and brown sugar until well combined. Stir together flour, oats, baking powder, and salt. Add to the butter/sugar mixture and mix to combine. Press half of oat crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Mix together condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Spread onto the bottom layer of the crumb mixture. Take the other half of the crumb mixture mix and squeeze together with clean hands. Crumble on top of the lemon layer.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Allow pan to sit on counter for 30 minutes after baking. Cut into squares and refrigerate for a couple of hours or until cool.
- Serve cool. Makes around one dozen. You can top with strawberries and whipped cream if desired.