Lemon Sheet Cake
Lemon Sheet Cake – full of lemon flavor, this cake has a moist tender crumb with a lemon glaze.
LEMON SHEET CAKE
My poor Florida babies have been out west in the dry desert and can’t hang. Their lips are chapped. They’re faces are peeling and we can’t seem to get enough water to make the thirst go away. I guess we can’t ever move back here.
It was so hot today I think I had heat stroke. The car temperature read 116 degrees. I think it was actually only (haha) 111 degrees but anything over 110 degrees just feels like a hot oven.
Back in Florida my husband keeps the house so cold that sometimes I find reasons to turn the oven on so I can thaw out. Many of you may think I’m crazy for baking in mid-July but we still have to eat cake right?
Most of you aren’t strangers to sheet cakes but I’m guessing you’ve never had a lemon version? It’s fabulous especially topped with strawberries.
It’s like the moist version of strawberry shortcake.
WHAT IS A SHEET CAKE?
A sheet cake is a flat single layer rectangular cake baked in a jelly roll pan or sheet pan. It’s usually frosted and comes in all flavors.
- I like this cake better the next day because the frosting makes the cake even more moist.
- Make sure your pan is the right size. If you have a pan too big the cake will be super thin and dry.
OTHER CAKE RECIPES
- White Texas Sheet Cake
- Strawberry Cream Puff Cake
- Chocolate Eclair Cake
- Strawberry and Cream Cake
- S’mores Cake
- Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcake
Lemon Sheet Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup butter , softened
- ¾ cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 15 x 10 x 1 inch jellyroll pan.
- For the cake: Combine flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, eggs, and sour cream in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed until blended.
- Combine 1 cup butter and water, lemon rind, lemon juice and lemon extract in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add to flour mixture, stirring well. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean and cake is just starting to turn golden. Do not overbake! Cool in pan on a wire rack for about 10-20 minutes. Cake should still be warm when you frost it.
- For the frosting: Combine remaining 1/2 cup of butter, milk and 1 teaspoon lemon extract in saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Gradually add powdered sugar, stirring until mixture is spreading consistency. Immediately spread frosting on top of warm cake. Let frosting set.