Chocolate Cherry Bars
These Chocolate Cherry Bars are so easy and a great potluck dessert. They’re ultra moist and are lathered with a decadent chocolate frosting.
I don’t think people really get how much I love food. It was 11:30 pm the other night and my sister-in-law, who is staying with us, said, “I’m off to bed, good night!”
To which I replied, “Good night! I’m going to make a cake.“
Yep. I’m crazy. A crazy night owl.
This cake is delicious. In fact, I was supposed to take it to a baby shower and we ended up just eating it all by ourselves. The frosting – buttery, chocolate, fudgey. The cake – moist, fluffy, with a hint of almond and cherry.
And I couldn’t really take it to a baby shower with a piece cut out already. Although that happens more often than it doesn’t in my life. I’m not usually a fan of pictures of food with bites taken out of them but…you…guys…heaven.
Chocolate Cherry Bars
These Chocolate Cherry Bars are so easy and a great potluck dessert. They're ultra moist and are lathered with a decadent chocolate frosting.
- 1 (18.25-oz.) package Devil's Food Cake Mix (you can use a 15.25 or 16.25 oz package as well)
- 1 (21-oz.) can cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 15x10x1-inch baking pan or 13x9-inch baking dish. Photo above was in a 13X9-inch baking dish.
- In large bowl, combine all cake bar ingredients (cake mix, cherry pie filling, almond extract, and eggs);
- Stir until well blended. You can use a stand mixer or stir by hand. A stand mixer will break up the cherries a bit more. Pour into greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 350°F. until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. For 15x10x1-inch pan, bake 20 to 30 minutes; for 13x9-inch pan, bake 25 to 35 minutes.
- In small saucepan, combine sugar, milk and butter. Bring mixture to a boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate chips and almond extract until smooth. Pour and spread over warm bars. Cool 2 hours or until completely cooled. You can speed up this process by placing them in the fridge to cool. Cut into bars.