Here’s another great recipe from my cookbook. My friend Heidi made her mother-in-law’s brisket for us for Christmas dinner years ago and we’ve had it every year since. My kids like to call it the “roast beast” straight out of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas movie.
I know most people have ham on Christmas, but I’ll tell you that you may want to switch your tradition to this brisket. I tend to eat chocolate out of my stocking all morning long so by the time dinner rolls around I’m ready for something savory. This hits the spot every time. Serve it with some mashed potatoes and hot buttery rolls.
- 5 lb . beef brisket
- 4 Tbsp . liquid smoke
- 2 Tbsp . Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp . onion powder
- 1 tsp . garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 (20- oz.) bottle barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large baking pan, place a long strip of heavy duty foil lengthwise across pan (long enough to be able to fold back on each end to encase brisket). Place a second strip over the first, but in the opposite direction.
- Place brisket on foil in pan and season as follows: Pour Worcestershire and liquid smoke over brisket and sprinkle with onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Fold foil up on short side until ends meet. Roll the ends together to meet brisket. Repeat on the other length of foil. Seal foil on all edges by folding over and toward the top of brisket.
- Bake for 4-5 hours at 325 degrees or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain the juices from the corner of the pan reserving 1/2 cup of the juice for the sauce.
- Remove brisket from foil and carefully place on a carving board.
- Using a very sharp carving knife or electronic carving knife cut the brisket into 1/4" slices against the grain.
- Transfer slices back into baking pan carefully.
- In a small saucepan, combine barbecue sauce and reserved juice from the pan and simmer until hot. Pour over brisket slices and serve.
All these amounts are approximate. Change it to what your prefer!
Make Ahead Tip: You can make this beef ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until serving. 30 minutes before serving, take barbecue sauce and reserved juice from brisket and pour over sliced brisket. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until heated thoroughly and sauce is bubbly.