This Spinach Parmesan Rice Bake is a cheesy side dish with spinach, cheese, and rice. Even your pickiest eaters will love this once they take a bite.
My friends and I just started reading a book called Deliberate Motherhood. My first thought was what is deliberate motherhood? Then that day as I was playing at the park with my kids, I saw a mom drive up, drop her kids off at the park, then she preceded to take a nap on a blanket under a tree. Meanwhile, her young kids ran around eating other people’s food and pushing other kids off of the slides. Maybe you can let your kids roam free in other parts of the country but in Florida, you better watch your kids or someone will take them. No joke. And I really can’t judge. Maybe she was having A DAY and her choices were to take a nap or drive her car into the ocean. Who knows. All I know that for that moment she wasn’t practicing deliberate motherhood.
Okay…that sounded bad. I’m not perfect. I definitely check my Instagram more than I should and let out a sigh of relief when bedtime comes (amen). That’s actually what the first chapter is on…accepting that you’re not the perfect mother; letting go of what you think the perfect mom is and what you should be. I think I’ve already mastered that chapter.
I’ll admit that I do have this stigma that I have to serve something green at every dinner. Broccoli, asparagus, salad…those are our staple sides that make me feel like a good mom and make me feel like I tried to serve something nutritious to my kids. This Spinach Parmesan Rice Bake is green but it’s not exactly healthy since it has a fair amount of cheese, butter, and more cheese. But they ate it. And liked it! It’s almost like spinach dip, but baked.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed to remove excess liquid)
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onions or 2 large green onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, for topping
- shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and generously grease a 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, rice, butter, cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, onions, garlic, eggs, and milk until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes and then top with mozzarella cheese the last 5 minutes of baking if desired.