Spinach and Feta Pita Pizza
These Spinach and Feta Pita Pizzas are a great appetizer or even filling enough for a meal. Only 250-300 calories per pizza so you don’t have to feel guilty about anything in this healthy recipe.
I know it’s been a while. With the New Year comes new resolutions and ALL of the healthy eating which isn’t exactly what shows up a lot on this blog.
So I took a couple weeks off as to not tempt you too soon. I think you have to know your strengths and mine are football food and super indulgent desserts.
In my defense, the healthy recipes that I DO have on this blog are the bomb! I mean do you really trust someone who eats kale chips all day when they say they have a healthy recipe that tastes amazing?
Or do you trust someone who pops cookies like popcorn and ate this entire peanut butter cheese ball by herself when she says she has a healthy recipe that tastes like you’re not eating healthy?!! I know, right? Believe it.
So trust me when I say this Spinach and Feta Pita Pizza was a flavor explosion in my mouth.
The slightly crispy pita with fresh veggies topped with a bite of Parmesan and feta is great as an appetizer or just as an entree for a light meal.
In other news, one of my New Year’s resolutions is to take less pictures of food and more pictures of my kids. I know that doesn’t bode well for you all but with the 30,000 pictures (no exaggeration) of food on my computer I figure at least 1,000 of them should be of people.
Another resolution on my list is to run a half marathon. My son is training for one so I am supporting him in that. I love to run but I swore after my full marathon I would never run another race…yet here we are.
Here you go. The healthy recipe you asked for. But I can’t promise this will last for long. Okay…I guarantee this is not The Girl Who Didn’t Eat Everything. I’ll be back.
Spinach and Feta Pita Pizza
- 1 (6 ounce) jar sun-dried tomato pesto (see Note)
- 6 (6 inch) whole wheat pita breads
- 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 bunch spinach , chopped
- 4 fresh mushrooms , sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spread tomato pesto onto one side of each pita bread and place them pesto-side up on a baking sheet. Top pitas with tomatoes, spinach (spinach wilts down a lot so don't be afraid to put a lot on), mushrooms, feta cheese, and Parmesan cheese; drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven until pita breads are crisp, about 12 minutes. Cut pitas into quarters and serve warm.
Sun-dried tomato pesto can be found by basil pesto or by the marinara sauce.