Living on the east coast I go through major Cafe Rio withdrawls. Back in our Provo days John and I would sometimes do a double header: Cafe Rio then Tracy’s Peanut Butter Cup at Leatherbys. The double header always sent me into a food induced coma afterwards and I would fall asleep at my computer at school. Please Cafe Rio people, come franchise out here. You would make some major money – if not from me alone!!!
|Cafe Rio’s Sweet Barbacoa Pork|| |
- 7-8 lbs. boneless pork butt or shoulder (make a 3-4 lb pork roast if you are just doing your family)
- 4 cups root beer
- 5 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
- 4 Tablespoons molasses or honey
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 - 3 cups brown sugar
- pepper to taste
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- Salt and pepper the pork and cook in crock pot 8 hours or overnight on low in a little water. In the morning remove the roast from the crockpot and pull apart with fork, removing fat. Drain all the water in the crockpot. Don't overshred the pork or it will turn mushy.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the crockpot and add the shredded pork. Stir to combine. Cook another 3-4 hours in crockpot on low. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Traditionally this meat is served over a salad or in a burrito.
- To make a Cafe Rio salad layer: tortilla (I warm mine in aluminum pans like cafe rio in the oven with cheese), cheese, Cilantro Lime Rice , Black or Pinto Beans, Pork, chopped Romaine or green leaf lettuce, sprinkle tortilla strips on top, and grated Parmesan cheese
- Serve with sides of: Pico de Gallo , Guacamole , fresh cilantro, fresh lime slices, drizzle with Creamy Tomatillo Dressing .
Source: a mix between Martha McMullin's and Sheri Denney's recipes.