Pecan and Apple Salad
Pecan and Apple Salad is my go-to salad for potlucks. Candied pecans, fresh apples, and cheese make this salad unique and full of flavor!
PECAN AND APPLE SALAD
I’m guilty of picking out the marshmallows of the Lucky Charms cereal, for licking just the frosting off a slice of cake, and for eating just the pepperonis off the pizza. I’m a topping picker. So sue me. Or just don’t share anything with me. That would be no fun…for you.
Salads are no exception. By the time I’m done eating a salad, all of the goodies are gone with just a bunch of lettuce left.
Although it does have a lot of toppings for me to pick off, I enjoy the whole salad. The apples and gorgonzola cheese are the perfect compliment to each other but you can really use any cheese like feta or blue cheese.
Recently I was in charge of making the salad for over 200 women for a church event. This is the salad I made because I knew it would be a hit.
OTHER SALAD RECIPES
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Spinach Quinoa Salad
- Spinach, Feta, and Orzo Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Creamy Pea Salad
- Corn Frito Salad
Apple and Pecan Salad
- 1/2 cup pecan halves or pieces
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 cups of Romaine lettuce or other mixed greens
- 1 large or 2 small apples, cored and diced (I like to use Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, or Gala)
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese, feta, or blue cheese
Honey Red Wine Vinaigrette Dressing(see Note):
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- To make the candied pecans, pour the sugar in a small skillet and pour the pecans on top. Cook over medium heat until sugar melts and turns a caramel color stirring constantly so that the nuts and sugar do not burn. Be patient! It takes a while for the sugar to start melting. Once the sugar turns a caramel color coat keep stirring to coat the pecans with it. Pour pecans onto greased wax paper or aluminum foil to cool. Once pecans are cooled, break them into pieces.
- Note: If you happen to get to a point where your sugar will not melt and is just clumping, a quick fix is to add 1 tablespoon of water to the pan over the heat to get the sugar liquefied. Your pecans will not be as crisp but still taste yummy. Trust me, I made about 20 batches of these pecans and I got a little distracted during a couple of batches and wasn't stirring like I should.
- Place lettuce in a serving bowl and add apples, cheese, and pecans. Toss with dressing right before serving or let people add their own dressing.
- For the dressing: In a blender, combine vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper. Place lid on blender and blend on high. While blender is running, add oil in a steady stream. Store in refrigerator for about 2-3 weeks. Shake well before serving.