This Pizza Chili is a hearty dish filled with beef, sausage, pepperoni, and green peppers simmering in a salsa pizza sauce. It makes enough to feed a crowd so invite your friends over!
Florida was in the 50’s this week. I have a sweater and my seat warmer on if it gets anything below 75 degrees. I’m such a wimp. I don’t know how you guys in cold weather do it. Especially my friends in Buffalo. I don’t want to workout and have zero motivation to do anything around the house. All I want to do it snuggle on the couch and eat. I usually make this chili every Halloween but this year I decided to try something new. How can you go wrong with Pizza Chili?
I’m not going to lie. This has a ton of meat in it. 3 pounds. It’s enough to feed an army. One thing I did was cook the pepperoni with the beef and sausage to render out some of the fat.
There’s nothing worse than fat skimming the top of your chili. The pizza sauce is key here. It gives it that pizza flavor. I added a little more oregano just because that’s how I like it. The salsa and the pepperoni give it a little kick.
Nothing crazy. Toddlers can eat it – at least mine did.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound sausage
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni, halved
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 1 large green pepper , seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (12 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage, pepperoni, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the salsa, beans, pizza sauce, water, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle servings with cheese.
Source: Taste of Home