Chocolate Cream Brownie Pie
CHOCOLATE CREAM BROWNIE PIE
I’m drowning my sorrows in pie this week. My best friend is moving away tomorrow.
I wish I could say this was the first time this has happened but it seems like my friends leave me every couple of years.
Florida is a pretty transient area because of all of the coast guard, dental students, and FBI families in the area. But knowing that still doesn’t make it any easier.
I’m bummed to say the least. My park, gym, and Chick Fil-A buddy is gone.
We’ve been dealing with it in the healthiest of ways of course by just pretending that it’s not happening.
True connections are hard to find and once you’ve found a good friend, you don’t want to let them go.
Have you ever had a good friend leave?
This pie comes from one of my other good friends, Kendee. She actually lives in Florida but unfortunately not close enough to make impromptu play dates feasible. I wish she lived closer!
She came up with this pie after craving one like it from Frontier Pies.
The fudgy brownie layer topped with creamy chocolate and freshed whipped cream is to die for.
I’m actually not usually one for chocolate pie but let’s just say my husband and I killed this in a day.
Don’t worry I’ll be a the gym tomorrow. Alone. Without my best friend.
I know the chocolate looks almost runny here but it actually firms up nicely in the fridge. It just happens to be unbelievably still hot here and I was taking pictures outside.
This Chocolate Brownie Cream Pie recipe makes two pies so you can keep one and give one to a friend. Or just eat two.
It is possible to half the recipe but it requires halving a brownie mix and some egg yolks which gets tricky.
In each pie start with a brownie layer. I used a Betty Crocker Triple Chunk mix for extra chocolate decadence.
Here’s the brownie once it’s baked and the center is set.Next, add your layer of Chocolate Cream.
And finally add some fresh whipped cream.
OTHER PIE RECIPES:
- Banana Cream Pie
- Peanut Butter Pie
- S’mores Pie
- Cherry Cheese Pie
- Boston Cream Pie
- Lemon Pie
- Peaches and Cream Pie
- Turtle Pie
- Nacho Pot Pie
- Chocolate Pecan Pie
Chocolate Cream Brownie Pie
- 2 9" deep dish pie crusts, unbaked
- 1 18-20 ounce brownie mix, and ingredients called for on the package
- 1 recipe Chocolate Cream, recipe below
- 2 cups whipped cream
- chocolate shavings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 2 cups milk, not skim
For the Brownies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Using a fork, prick the pie crust. Make your brownie batter according to the package directions. Split brownie batter evenly between the two pies.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and center of brownie is set. You may want to cover the pies with foil after 15 to 20 minutes to prevent crust from burning. Cool completely.
- While your brownies are baking, begin the chocolate cream.
For the Chocolate Cream:
- Place the chopped chocolate, butter, and vanilla extract in a 2-quart mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan away from heat, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa and salt. Whisk in 1/4 cup of cold heavy cream until the mixture is smooth, with no lumps. Repeat with another 1/4 cup of the cream. Whisk in the egg yolks.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat, and gradually whisk in the remaining cream and milk.
- Bring to a boil, whisking constantly as the mixture thickens; boil for one minute. It will turn from runny to thick quickly so keep your eye on it. If you don't make sure it thickens, your mixture will not set up when it cools.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture over the reserved chocolate and butter.
- Whisk until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pass the filling through a strainer into a bowl to remove any lumps.
- Place plastic wrap or buttered parchment paper on the surface to prevent a skin from forming, and chill thoroughly.
- Once brownie-crust and chocolate cream are cooled, divide the chocolate cream evenly between the two pies.
- Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Chill until serving. If making ahead don't top with whipped cream until right before serving.