Today, a friend I’ve known for years, Mary Jolley, is guest posting and will be sharing a new recipe with us all. Mary has a website called My Green Diet with lots of information and wholesome recipes. I know my blog doesn’t exactly focus on nutritious recipes but we all need to indulge every once in a while and when you do…I’m your girl. But I’ve said it before…believe it or not in general we eat pretty healthy around our house and what I post is our occasional indulgence. I get bored easily and am always looking for new recipes to change things up to make healthy eating fun.
It’s bathing suit season and heaven knows we all could be eating better so today I’m giving away 2 copies of her book below that have great recipes that are good for you! To enter leave a comment before tomorrow at noon June 29th, EST.
Thank you, Christy, for inviting me to contribute to you beautiful website, you do such a great job with the recipes. I am grateful for the chance to share one of my recipes with you.
I eat and advocate a whole foods plant based diet. I do my best to eliminate meat, dairy and sugar and instead focus on fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, and whole grains. While I was researching The Green Diet, I grew passionate about sharing healthy eating habits with others. I love to help people take their next step toward eating Greener, whether that is Meatless Monday or cutting out candy. The summer is a great time to enjoy fresh produce, as many delicious varieties are in season. This Mexican Quinoa Salad is great to make for a picnic or outdoor party because it will hold up well in the heat.
Meatless Monday with Mary – Mexican Quinoa and a Giveaway…
- 1 cup quinoa , washed and drained (I used 1/2 cup red quinoa and 1/2 cup white quinoa)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 2 fresh limes (3 if they are small)
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 can black beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes , cut in quarters
- 5 green onions , finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado , chopped (not shown in the picture)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa and add to a saucepan with the water, cover, bring to boil and reduce to simmer - cook until all water is absorbed. 10-15 min. Turn off the heat and leave it alone for 10-15 minutes. Remove lid, fluff with a fork and pour into a large bowl. Add black beans, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and avocado.
- Separately, whisk together extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, cumin and red pepper flakes. Add salt and pepper.
- Toss dressing with quinoa mixture. Season with salt and pepper
- This salad can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Serves 2-4.
- *Quinoa can be found at your local grocery store by the rice or by the oatmeal/grains.
Source: My Green Diet