This Mexican Quinoa Salad is great to make for a picnic or outdoor party because it will hold up well in the heat. It tastes fresh and light with Mexican flavors. Great for a meatless Monday.
MEXICAN QUINOA SALAD
The ingredients in this salad are simple but can be made as a side dish or for meal prep.
This quinoa recipe is a great recipe and can be adjusted to personal preferences with great leftovers. If you like this you’ll like these Mango Quinoa Tacos.
- OLIVE OIL
- BLACK BEANS
- CHERRY TOMATOES
- GREEN ONIONS – red onion can also be used.
- FRESH CILANTRO
- FRESH AVOCADO
- VEGETABLE BROTH OR CHICKEN BROTH
OTHER POSSIBLE ADD-INS:
This is a great base recipe to add your favorite toppings.
- Sweet Corn
- Green Chiles
- Sweet potatoes
- bell pepper
- chili powder
- poblano pepper
- hot sauce
OTHER SALAD RECIPES:
- Pear Quinoa Salad
- Crunchy Pea Salad
- Poppy Seed Fruit Salad
- Fruit, Avocado, and Feta Salad
- Frito Corn Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Grape Salad
Mexican Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, washed and drained (I used 1/2 cup red quinoa and 1/2 cup white quinoa)
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 2 fresh limes, (3 if they are small)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch of red pepper flakes, (optional)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in quarters
- 5 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, chopped (not shown in the picture)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa and add to a saucepan with the water, cover, bring to boil and reduce to simmer - cook until all water is absorbed. 10-15 min. Turn off the heat and leave it alone for 10-15 minutes. Remove lid, fluff with a fork and pour into a large bowl. Add black beans, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and avocado.
- Separately, whisk together extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, cumin and red pepper flakes. Add salt and pepper.
- Toss dressing with quinoa mixture. Season with salt and pepper
- This salad can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Serves 2-4.
- *Quinoa can be found at your local grocery store by the rice or by the oatmeal/grains.