Egg Drop Soup
Egg Drop Soup is a healthy Chinese broth based hot soup made with eggs, chicken broth, corn starch, and green onions. If you’re looking for a healthy, warm, easy egg drop soup, this recipe is for you and only takes 10 minutes! It’s also keto-friendly made with simple ingredients.
HOMEMADE EGG DROP SOUP RECIPE
I realize the amount of Asian recipes on this blog I can count on one hand. But one of my favorite Asian recipes that I love is simple Chinese soup recipe.
It’s something I always order at Chinese restaurants and love when it’s cold, I’m sick, or if I’m eating healthy and want something to fill me up. It’s sometimes called Egg Flower Soup.
You will be surprised that this is the easiest soup with minimal ingredients. Faster than making chicken noodle soup, this soup might become your new staple recipe.
WHAT IS EGG DROP SOUP?
Egg Drop Soup is a chicken broth based Chinese soup often thickened with cornstarch and seasoned with soy sauce, ginger, and green onions.
A beaten egg is stirred in the hot soup and makes the soup thick.
- CHICKEN BROTH – you can use vegetable broth as well for another option. This is the soup base. Homemade chicken broth would make for a delicious soup but is not required.
- SOY SAUCE – I like to use low-sodium soy sauce. Just one tablespoon soy sauce gives this tons of flavor. You could use coconut aminos for a healthier option.
- GROUND GINGER – you can use fresh ginger if you have it on hand. Minced ginger is a little more of a strong flavor.
- CORNSTARCH – use Xanthum gum for Keto option. The cornstarch mixture is the thickening agent for the soup. For a thicker soup increase the amount of cornstarch.
- EGGS – raw eggs are stirred into a hot broth. Fresh eggs give this soup lots of protein. This is the only ingredient you can’t substitute.
- GREEN ONIONS – or scallions are the perfect flavor addition. You can also use the scallion whites.
IS EGG DROP SOUP HEALTHY?
Yes. It’s very low calorie and packed with protein! One bowl of soup (about 1 cup) is only 71 calories.
IS THIS KETO FRIENDLY?
Yes. There are only 5 grams of carbs in each serving of this soup making it keto-friendly. You can also add more sesame oil for more fat which is good on the keto diet. See all of the nutritional information for egg drop soup below the recipe. Also to make it more Keto-friendly you could use bone broth.
HOW TO MAKE EGG DROP SOUP
For more instruction watch the recipe video.
In a medium pot, bring the chicken stock, soy sauce, and ground ginger to a boil.
In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water. Stir into the boiling broth until thickened.
Reduce heat to a simmer. Slowly drizzle the beaten eggs in a thin stream into the soup while gently stirring in a circular motion. The wispy eggs will cook in the broth.
Remove from heat and add the salt, sesame oil (if using), and sprinkle green onions on top of the soup. Add more salt to taste and serve.
HOW DO I MAKE THIS SOUP THICKER?
This soup uses cornstarch to give it that thicker consistency.
WHAT GOES WELL WITH THIS RECIPE
OTHER SOUP RECIPES
- Cauliflower Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Panera’s Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Easy Tomato Soup
- Mom’s White Chicken Chili
Egg Drop Soup
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, (I like better than Bouillon chicken base)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, For Keto use 1/2 teaspoon Xanthum gum
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, (more to taste)
- optional 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil, (see note)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- In a pot, bring the chicken broth, soy sauce, and ground ginger to a boil.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and cold water. Stir the cornstarch slurry into the boiling broth until thickened.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Slowly drizzle the whisked eggs into the soup while gently stirring in a circle motion in the same direction.
- Remove from heat and add the salt, sesame oil (if using), and green onions. Add more salt to taste and serve.