Chicken Taco Cupcakes
These Chicken Taco Cupcakes aren’t your ordinary cupcakes. These savory biscuits are a great Mexican appetizer filled with taco meat, cheese, and all your favorite taco toppings. The kids love them too!
Now this isn’t the first time I’ve made cupcakes that make you go huh? First, there were the Lasagna Cupcakes, then the Double Decker Taco Cupcakes, and don’t forget the Buffalo Chicken Cupcakes. No frosting here. Just savory goodness. You might find yourself craving these more than the sweet kind.
This is a great way to use up leftover chicken. I simmered some chicken in a pan with some taco seasoning to get all the flavor infused. The base of our cupcakes are biscuits. I didn’t want to use the big biscuits because I wanted it to be more about the chicken then a whole lot of biscuit with a tiny amount of toppings. So I used the small 7.5 ounce can with 10 biscuits in it. Press that into your muffin tin and top with your taco chicken. Cheese makes everything taste better. Then let everyone top their own.Some of my kids left them plain and others added sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, and onion. These reheat well too! Pop them in the microwave or in the oven for a couple of minutes.
Chicken Taco Cupcakes
These Chicken Taco Cupcakes aren't your ordinary cupcakes. These savory biscuits are a great Mexican appetizer filled with taco meat, cheese, and all your favorite taco toppings. The kids love them too!
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons Old El Paso taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (less or more to taste)
- 1 (7.5 oz) package refrigerated biscuits
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Toppings: lettuce, tomato, sour cream, guacamole, salsa
- Preheat oven to 400° and lightly spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a skillet, add the chicken, taco seasoning, and water. Stir together and cook over medium-high heat until the sauce has thickened and the water is gone.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with lime juice to taste, about 1 tablespoon.
- While chicken is cooking, open biscuits and press each one into the bottom and up the sides of a muffin tin. Place about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture into each biscuit. Divide the cheese evenly on top of the chicken.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and top with your favorite toppings.
This is a great way to use leftover chicken but if you want to cook your own chicken you can brown bite sized pieces in 1-2 tablespoons of butter. Once it’s cooked, add the taco seasoning and water as directed.
Don’t have chicken? Use leftover beef.