Chili and Cheese Ham Strata
Chili and Ham Breakfast Strata – layered with sourdough, cheddar and ham. This is great for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner. Great for company because it’s assembled the night before.
I was watching my barely 1-year-old play with her baby doll. She was caressing her hair and giving it hugs. She lugs her dolls around everywhere; in the backyard, in the car, and in her bed. She’s always been that way. It made me wonder if some of us are born with maternal instincts and some of us just aren’t?
As a little girl I was on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. I hated dolls. I played catch with them, throwing them high in the air, but never sat and played house with them. And if you’ve ever been around my family you know that now my husband is the one throwing the babies. But he catches them and is good at it. 🙂
I would say that the trend held true. I wasn’t exactly motherly growing up. I wasn’t asking to hold people’s babies all the time. I wasn’t huge into babysitting. I was good with a little bit older kids but completely clueless when it came to babies. In my defense, I didn’t have younger siblings to learn the nurturing someone else thing. Since I have 5 kids now, people always ask me if I always wanted a big family. No, not always.
But then I got married and had my own kids. And something inside of me woke up and immediately felt so much love not only for my own children, but for ALL children. So what I’m telling you is, there’s hope. I know I have friends that are terrified to have kids because they don’t know what kind of mom they’ll be. Remember you’re not in it alone. Your mother’s intuition, which may seem non-existent, will kick in.
Hey. I didn’t used to cook either and look at me now! This Chili and Cheese Ham Strata is layered with sourdough bread (love), ham, cheese, eggs, green chilies, and a bit of cilantro. It could totally be breakfast, brunch, or dinner. We had it for dinner because it happened to time out that way.
This is so easy. Just layer the ingredients in a 9×13 casserole dish. Pour the egg mixture over and refrigerate overnight.
Bursting with flavor.
OTHER BREAKFAST IDEAS
- Bacon, Egg, and Potato Skillet
- French Toast recipe
- Cheesy Baked Eggs
- Sheet Pan Hash Browns
- Oven Scrambled Eggs
- Baked Oatmeal
- Confetti Bacon Hash Brown Casserole
- Martha’s Breakfast Casserole
Chili and Cheese Ham Strata
- 6 slices sourdough bread, (1 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham, (about 8 oz - you want a ham steak cubed not deli ham)
- 1 can, (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Butter bread; cube with a knife(or tear into 1 inch pieces) and place in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle with chilies, 1-3/4 cups cheese, ham, onion and cilantro.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, cumin and mustard in a large bowl. Pour over bread mixture; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking and preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered for 35 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake 10-20 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. I like more on the less moist side so I cook it on the longer side. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.