This Nacho Pot Pie has a taco flavored filling of black beans and corn topped with a crushed tortilla chip crust.
My son actually came to me with this idea for dinner. He’s 10 years-old and helps make our tacos for Taco Tuesday every week. But this week he wanted to switch things up with this Nacho Pot Pie.
The base of any good pot pie is a good roux. To give this one a Mexican twist we added some Old El Paso taco seasoning to the butter before adding the flour. Make sure you slowly whisk in the beef broth and milk to get a thick and creamy sauce.
This pot pie has black beans and corn in it!Instead of a crust, the filling is topped with crushed tortillas and melted cheese. Everyone loved it! Of course nachos must have sour cream, green onions, and tomatoes on top. I forgot to put some guacamole on top but I’m going to try that for sure next time!
|Nacho Pot Pie|| |
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (1 ounce) package tablespoons Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix, divided
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup milk
- 12 ounces frozen corn, thawed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups tortilla chips
- 1½ cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Optional toppings: sour cream, green onions, tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown the beef and onions. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Drain. Add 2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning and ⅓ cup water and cook until liquid has reduced. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add the flour and cook for a couple of minutes until thick. Slowly whisk in the beef broth and milk until combined and cook for 3-5 minutes or until mixture is thick. Stir in the reserved meat mixture, corn, and beans.
- Pour into an 11X17 inch baking dish. Top with crushed tortillas. Bake for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for 2-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with sour cream, green onions, and tomatoes.
Make the beef mixture ahead of time to speed up the process for a weeknight meal.